Good question. And it might be 6 more years. So far all signs point to Dems snatching defeat from jaws of victory and losing in 2020. Normally I'd be OK with that, but right now not so much.

Right now id say that 'normal' people, going by my definition of normal, are sorely under represented in govt and politics. My prediction is we are going to oscillate between extremes from here on out and eventually, the hot sweltering summer swamp of Trumpism will eventually fade post-Trump and our hangover will be a long winter of far left nutballs who literally hate everyone who isn't with 'them' and ensuing civil disorder as they push their own extreme agenda and clash with the ever-growing and emboldened hyper-right.

Its time for all of us to brush up on our Marcus Aurelius and get practiced in keeping some emotional detachment from current events, for the sake of our mental health. Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)