Originally Posted by rhaikh
Tell you what, in the interest of ending this unproductive """debate""" I propose a resolution. I feel this is a good resolution because I honestly don't believe anymore that either of you actually espouse the positions you are defending, but would rather argue about SJWs or Antifa or some other nonsense.

I'll donate $50 to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

If you can make a convincing case that they deserve it, I'll donate $50 in your name(s) to one of the "neo-confederate" organizations listed here (including the UDC):

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2000/neo-confederates

Or, if you prefer, an additional donation to SPLC.

I'm genuinely curious which position you think I am defending?

Statues and flags were never the important part of this discussion, that's what you don't seem to understand.

WAPO: Corrosion of support for First Amendment

Bizarrely, 62 percent of college students had the mistaken belief that, under the First Amendment, an on-campus organization hosting an “offensive” speaker is legally required to ensure that there is also a speaker who presents an opposing viewpoint.

Most disconcerting, the Brookings survey found that 19 percent said it is acceptable for a student group to use violence to prevent a guest speaker it opposes from appearing on campus.

In this same vein, a Pew Research Center study from 2015 found that 40 percent of millennials are okay with government preventing people from making unspecified statements that are “offensive to minority groups.”

The issue here has and always has been the tactics of the psycho left, and the response generated and/or embolded from the wacked right.

Republicans were most intolerant of speech and most likely to favor authoritarian laws to punish it on the subject of burning or desecrating the American flag: Seventy-two percent of Republicans believe that should be illegal (along with 46 percent of Democrats).

Only 59 percent believe that religious freedom should apply to all religious groups. Among those between the ages of 18 to 29, just 49 percent support equal protection for all religious faiths, compared to over 60 percent for every other age group.

Just 37 percent of Americans think the mainstream media does not invent stories, while the rest are undecided.

You cry straw man and all sorts of other BS when confronted with the tactics, and emphasis of the psycho-left, while doing your best to dodge the real issues. Which aren't statues. Our Republic is in grave danger, and the people who are fixating on both sides of the statue issue are the symptoms.

As an aside, did it really never occur to you that using your own logic, you could be accused of a more insidious racism and propagation of "white power" than anyone here? By diverting attention away from real issues of incarceration and treatment of minorities by law enforcement, it could easily be said that you are supporting pursuit of red herrings in favor of keeping public scrutiny away from things that actually matter in peoples' lives, and are the one truly distracting from real issues of race.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)