I wouldn't say anyone tried to subvert the process, electors voting is the process. It would have been nice if they'd dumped Trump, but I sure wasn't expecting US politicians to grow anything resembling a backbone.

On the bright side, as long as Trump doesn't manage to totally fuck up - as in fuck up on the societal death level, there are some upsides.

Namely, I think some progressives are going to become a lot more libertarian minded when they really internalize the fact that history is not, in fact, over. For every bit of "progress" they made using the power of the Federal govt, and the Presidency in particular, they will see that same power turned 180degrees in the opposite direction. Maybe some of them will see and understand how using heavy handed statist tactics can spectacularly backfire as soon as a bad news cycle coincides with a bad political cycle.

Maybe, as civil order continues to decay, and fringe extremism rises and starts taking its toll on minorities, all while civil institutions flounder and decay, they will realize again that history is not fucking over - and that long periods of social stability are historically infrequent, and having an ipod and an automobile doesn't make them any better than their predecessors. Maybe they will be even thankful that they can still buy a gun if they need to.

But nah, they will probably just blame the Russians and put on a brown shirt.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)