Originally Posted by rhaikh

This leads me into my opinions about what the left should do with the concepts of identity politics and freedom of speech, but frankly I'm out of quarters to continue the conversation - I am stuck on this first level having made no progress and I fail to envision a scenario where I present new ideas and you two don't immediately try to lead me in new tangental directions. again.

*: Also out of quarters for providing you with the entire modern history of the republican party, sorry, also Broken window policy in NYC was Giuliani's platform

It's called a discussion, and expecting people to swallow your premise without comment would be silly.

I never said that broken window policing didn't originate with Giuliani, I said NYC was a liberal/Dem stronghold, which it is. Was highlighting a case of "do as I say, not as I do." One of the issues with the left, is it is the social group of Weinstein, both figuratively and literally. And yes, before anyone mentions it, the GOP is also the party of Hastert - figuratively and literally. That is, rampant hypocrisy.

Policies continue past Giuliani btw, even to this day. De Blasio, to his credit, seems to have attempted headway on some of these issues - but runs into quite the institutional opposition from what I recall.

But to be real, retreating to actual written party platform kind of shows how weak you premise actually is - because everyone knows that the 'official' platform doesn't actually matter. What Sini referenced earlier about party platforms was remarking about the real platform - what they actually do when in power. Both parties, for example, claim to want better education and jobs. However, despite both parties having windows where they fully controlled govt, neither party made great efforts in those directions, and instead focus on score-settling and wedge-driving. You can clearly see what a party's real platform is when they control Oval Office and both houses of Congress.

Also, please bear in mind that the issue here is specifically calling all GOP racists while merely finger-wagging bad actors closer to your ideological spectrum. Were you simply claiming that the Democrats are somewhat better on issues of race, well, their additional lip-service on the topic might well justify that. I just find it hard to believe that paying verbal homage to race, as you previously suggested, would have any positive impact. In the mouths of politicians, words are usually just words. Largely, because it is well known that memories are short and politics is a game of "what have you done for me lately." Fundamentally, politicians sell promises, not results. Wedge issues are no accident on either side, nor is lack of real progress on issues.

If Democrats actually solved minority issues, then before long, there wouldn't be any reason for minorities to vote for them. Thus, we see introducing of new wedge issues, as opposed to solid policy improvements.

BTW, for what its worth, I'll be the first to decry the GOP's similar tactics. We see just how important deficit reduction really is to them, for example, when they have power. That is, they open govt spigot and spend like madmen - without forgetting to embark on some score-settling with perceived Democrat allies in the process, when it comes to cuts.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)