Originally Posted by rhaikh
Just for the sake of argument, let's say that our democracy really is about to be destroyed by teenagers with airhorns.

If "teenagers with airhorns" was the entirety of the problem, then I would agree that your skepticism is justified. However, I see this issue widespread and metastasized. Just today I learned that editor at a well-know magazine was ousted after publishing essay by Jian Ghomeshi. Jian Ghomeshi was a Canadian radio broadcaster who was charged and found not guilty of sexual assault. Before that, I read about Jian's lawyer was being protested by students after getting invited to deliver unrelated talk. This is how unbelievably censorious the regressive left is. Deplatform. Unperson. Violently Attack.

I don't have to look hard for more examples, as they happen almost daily. Reducing this phenomenon to "teenagers with airhoorns" is not unlike calling WW2 a border skirmish between Poland and Germany.

- Deny the student org or the invited guest the ability to accept direct donations on behalf of any cause. Orgs found accepting donations related to guest appearances would be denied future guest visitation permits.
- Enforce an admission fee, price set by student body vote, may be selectively increased but not decreased by sponsoring organization
- Require 100% of proceeds above administrative costs to be allocated based on vote of the entire student body.

I think adopting University of Chicago Statement of Principles of Free Expression is by far more effective. Your solution presuppose convoluted causes, when simple and direct attribution - censorious thugs seeking political power - is simpler explanation without need for further and deeper analysis.

inviting Milos and such

Do you believe that "Milos and such" deserve freedom of speech?

[Linked Image]