Originally Posted by Brutal
Originally Posted by rhaikh
It's frankly bizarre that I post a quote from the organizer of Unite the Right and what you guys take away from it is that Twitter is bad.

Here's the text of what you quoted, for anyone else who didn't bother to click on a twitter link the first time:

Originally Posted by twitter link
I'm a Classical Liberal, not a fascist. I believe part of what made white civilizations great is our respect for ideals like free speech and individual liberty.

If we descend into Might Makes Right we're no better than your average tribal warlord.

If I understand, and please correct me if I'm off base, your point is that this since person identifies as a Classical Liberal, the question "is the left eating itself" could be applied Classical Liberalism. There's no point in typing out the continuation of that line of thought here, I'm sure everyone can figure it out.

Is that right?

If so, then I would argue Derid already gave a valid response, which you have dismissed as "twitter is bad," and I would be interested in your response.

If not, I sincerely apologize that I've misunderstood your position, and ask that you clarify.

The more complete of an answer I give on this forum, to basically any question, the more the frequent posters here wish to hijack my opinions into their own realm of displeasure. So in a sense this post of mine you are quoting is my distilled complaint about the other responders. While I understand that social media has had an effect on public discourse, and you could therefore explore that relationship as it applies to any modern political topic, I think that is not at all causal to this particular topic and yet they've managed to spin several pages of essentially tangental spam out of it.

What's far more interesting to me is the parallel between this behavior I've just described amongst this group, and the behavior of the people who are driving this "anti freedom leftist" narrative in the press. These people are spinning whole book tours of tangental spam out of the actions of teenagers at an unknown liberal arts college, taking money from and advancing the ideologies of the likes of Peter Thiel and the Koch brothers on that tenuous justification.

Which continues it's own feedback loop - they then go off on paid promotion tours to places they are likely to see ideological pushback (for good reason - I am quite justified in implementing my email spam filter, for example), and I bet in their five star hotel suite they are praying that some idiot teenager brings an airhorn so they can fund next year's tour.

Incidentally, or intentionally, or both, this creates a monster. Their audience get a feel good rush from reading 12 rules and cleaning your room and all of a sudden they're yelling at Muslims and showing up at Jason Kessler's rally to hear David Duke speak. It's okay, they're just Classical Liberals, not fascists. It's probably because they use twitter.

Anyway, I hope that's clear enough for you. I'm sure some will object to my lack of citation but unlike Evergreen College this place doesn't issue any credits and so my incentive to provide a complete bibliography is low.

[Linked Image]