It's been a while since this happened and the details are fuzzy (and I'm too lazy to go and re-read everything). Can someone refresh me on this detail: This piece that got the guy fired, did it go through an editorial process, or did he just post/publish it on his own? If the former, did the editor that allowed it to be published get similarly sacked and smeared, and if not why? If the latter, I 100% agree with Taco's position that in the workplace, actions that go against the interests of your employer can and should have consequences up to and including termination.

In either case, I would also be inclined to agree with Taco that this doesn't feel like chilling free speech. Instead it was a business responding to its patrons voiced opposition to a particular piece in a way consistent with its best interests. The fact that the only way to satisfy its patrons was to fire the guy is more of an indictment of the "everything offends me" syndrome in society today than anything else, but it does not constitute an attack on free speech in my opinion.

Last edited by Brutal; 01/07/19 09:12 AM.