Originally Posted by Sini
Originally Posted by Derid
That's a good video, and I'm happy that some people on the left are finally taking cognizance of the problem.

Do I still count as "people on the left" in your book?

I didn't intend it literally, as in finally one person - but rather in the sense that people who attend public left wing forums and create widely watched videos are starting to push back on the issue. To answer more directly, yes I generally consider you as someone more or less on the left side of things... though I wouldn't necessarily pin you as a hard leftist, simply because current state of American political discourse as well as the general etymological state of things is so completely absurd that such labels themselves have lost much of their meaning.

Our current state of civilization prompts me to recall a quote from Confucius's Analects remarking on precisely this issue:

"If names be not correct, language is not in accordance with the truth of things. If language be not in accordance with the truth of things, affairs cannot be carried on to success. When affairs cannot be carried on to success, proprieties and music do not flourish. When proprieties and music do not flourish, punishments will not be properly awarded. When punishments are not properly awarded, the people do not know how to move hand or foot. Therefore a superior man considers it necessary that the names he uses may be spoken appropriately, and also that what he speaks may be carried out appropriately. "

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)