Originally Posted by rhaikh
Ignoring your ceaseless attempts at straw manning away my question... do you just want people to agree with your values?

I admire you dedication to not practicing any kind of self-reflection.

Do you think there should be one, or do you just want people to agree with your values?

I would like more people to agree with me on valuing free speech, but I don't think any value should be accepted unchallenged, or it becomes in danger of being dogmatic. Healthy society practices exchange of ideas, where all values are constantly challenged and evaluated and the best ones carried forward in a robust way. This process of self-correction malfunctions if freedom of speech is suppressed or diminished, but freedom of speech itself should not be exempt from such evaluation. I don't value freedom of speech without reasons, growing up in a Soviet Block I have seen first hand how society that lacks that value operates.

What is your proposed law to cover the gap?

I think regulation of social media as a common carrier would be a good start. However, I don't pretend to have a silver bullet for this, and as you correctly pointed out there are nuances and considerations in any attempt. I just know that current situation is quickly deteriorating into illiberality, we already seeing downstream societal effects, and if we do nothing our children will be worse-off than we are.

[Linked Image]