...the people who are driving this "anti freedom leftist" narrative in the press.
Are you referring to Faux News, or something else? Honestly I won't presume speak for others in saying what the point of this topic is, but I think that most here would agree that the far right is deplorable. I no longer consider myself a Republican because the politics of the party have strayed too far towards that fringe. My problem is that I can't in good conscience embrace the Democrat problem for much the same reason.

From my perspective, here is what our two parties currently offer:

• Republicans: thinly veiled or sometimes outright racist views and policies, religious zealotry (and an alarming push towards pseudo-theocracy), and nationalism
  • Democrats: welfare state, censorship, class warfare

Obviously there are others (like government oversight, gun control), but this list encapsulates my greatest fears from both sides.

Over the course of my adult life the left have regressed nearly as far towards the fringe as the right have, leaving me with no good political choices. If there was one political ideal that you could always count on the left to espouse above all others it was the protection of the 1st amendment. These days the left seem far greater enemies of free speech than the right.

Who the fuck am I supposed to choose from this shit show?