Originally Posted by Sini
There is a strong social norm that it is wrong to judge someone simply for how they were born. That is a good thing as it allows for stigmatization of actual racists. But now the left is abusing the same term we traditionally used for violating THAT norm, to describe 'Doing things one believe might contribute to inequality in society. These people will soon discover that accusations of racism carry no weight and have no stigma attached. You already can see this, as accusations of racism did nothing to harm Trump's standing.

Much this. I can't imagine Trump's racist shenanigans having no impact on election if it wasn't for the bitter ACA fight, where far too many loud voices tried to pin opposition to Obama's policies and legislative prerogatives on the fact that Obama has some African descent, which was absurd. In retrospect, I think this is really where both sides started to break down and start terminally malfunctioning. Both the left and the right spin machines went into overdrive, with neither caring much for objectivity nor sanity any longer. When opposing the president becomes racist, then suddenly half the country is racist, and it no longer carries the same stigma. (edited to change /seriously malfunctioning/ to /terminally/ - our political system began to seriously malfunction after the NYC Twin Towers)

Of course, after Romney lost is when the right continued a decoupling from any objective reality in terms of policy or rhetoric. The patient has taken over the asylum, and conservative talk radio is now the tail wagging the dog... and the results aren't pretty.

As an aside, I don't find it a coincidence that both Hillary and Romney were expected to win (at least by their own party, though Hillary by mostly everyone) leading to inner complacency - followed by an immense inner breakdown and loss of whatever sanity each party had left, after their respective failures.

Last edited by Derid; 04/30/18 08:34 PM.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)