Originally Posted By: sinij
Here is an example to demonstrate why such thinking is flawed: For example there is a general vote to set tax rate to 0%. As a well-off individual guided only by self-interest you'd always vote for this. Direct consequence of such tax rate is that there would be no money for infrastructure and society would collapse into anarchy.
We survived until 1913 without an income tax, and only levied occasional taxes to raise funds for things like the civil war.

Adherence to Ayn Rand ideology leads to conclusion that successful individuals acting in self-interest should renege on Social Contract, because they least benefit from it.

Objectivism ignore the notion of Social Contract; the notion that unlimited natural freedom and self-interest includes freedom to screw others, effectively creating "war of all people against all people". To avoid this society is created, and we as individuals give up some of our natural freedoms (for example freedom to rape and murder each other) in order to establish civil society (where we don't have to worry about getting raped and murdered). Civil Society and Social Contract are not costless, it takes common effort to maintain it and its integrity starts to break down when individual members feel they do not adequately benefit from it (see Somalia).
This line of thinking lies outside of the foundation of our constitution which expressly states that man has the inalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Your right to liberty precludes someone else's desire to rape you (to use your example). You see, you don't have the "freedom to screw others" without suffering the ramifications of your actions. There is no "social contract" here, there is simply the recognition of each individual's God given rights. The concept of "adequate benefit" from society is a point of fundamental disagreement between you and me. Our society doesn't owe anyone any benefit. The promise of America is that you will be allowed the freedom to pursue your idea of happiness as long as that doesn't impinge on anyone else's rights. This covers everything.

My own ideology is that individual success is only possible due to access to all benefits society provided to said individual. Once individual becomes successful such individual should honor social contract and put best interest of society ahead of his or her own interest.
I feel sorry for you, that you don't have enough sense of self worth to know that you can succeed on your own without help from anyone else. I wish that you could have had the childhood that I did, where I learned that there are literally no limits to what you can do in this country, as long as you're willing to work for it. That ability to succeed has nothing to do with a "social contract" and everything to do with our founders' recognition of our rights as human beings and the incorporation of those rights as the foundation of our country.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]