Originally Posted By: Mithus
Originally Posted By: Derid

Anyhow, the govt does not pay for half the cost of our food... not sure where you heard that.

it´s food chain --> as one simple example corn is used to feed animals as you said to fuel and also as ingredient or part of many thing that you eat. So as general if you subsidie some of your base, everything will be more cheap, than it should be.

I also has to point, USA is not an Island, you economy is tied to global economy, before the fall of USSR and the rise of China, I think you guys didnt have any competition on the global markets that is responsible also for you superior economy.

Now with the Russia and China on the rails and even India with the services and while preaching free market you guys are facing competition. So losing jobs is a factor.

With all that was not enough, 2 wars to spend more money, and you guys expect that a guy fix all that in 3 years. He will pay the price of the global economy changing direction.

Also the new "Rome" has risen now, after the first WW2 -> to 2000 = EUA, and now China.. to an economy ascpect, becaue in terms of military you still have no match.

I think the subsidy argument was truer 15 years ago than today. After Bush pushed through all the ethanol crap, that ate up a lot of the subsidized food. Foreign aid also eats up a lot as well.

I do think Corn is over subsidized, but the 15B or so of random farm subsidies dont really make a blip on the radar.

As far as global competition , it was there - Germany and Japan mostly.. then South Korea. But you are correct to an extent, China certainly has not been good for us. China has cheated the system, and gotten USA politicians to bend over for it. Clinton and Bush both sold us down the river to China.

And Bush beat Kerry because the GOP literally stole the election, here in Ohio. Its extremely sad.. but the voting system is not even functioning anymore, at least in Ohio.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)