Mithus let me tell you a personal story of mine. I had emergency surgery about 8 years ago. I didn't have health insurance because I was only working as a temporary employee. I ended up having to stay a week in the hospital. The bill was a little over $10,000 dollars. A lady came into my room asking about my insurance. This was after my surgery. So she suggested medicade, I refused.

So after I got out of the hospital and received the bill I realized I was going to need some help. My aunt works in a doctors offcie and told me that all hospitals have funds specifically given by donations to help people with no insurance. I called and they told me I made more than the normal person with no insurance. They still pro-rated it and knocked off a little over $3,000 from my bill. I made a lot less than I do now, I had to much going on financially. So I paid the bill off in 18 months I realize not everyone has the money to even do that. But things like that fund that knocked some $$ off my bill are there. If I had taken the medicade I may have walked away with paying little to nothiung. It was my choice to not go that route and at least paid as much as I did to pay it off. That's called responsibilty. And that doesn't hurt anyone to have take on responsibilty. A lot of people take advantage of willingness to help them. I think giving people something without having something at stake, causes laziness in a lot of them. I'm not saying that true for everyone, and having the programs that we do have to help people is a good thing. But that's as far as our government should be involved.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 09/13/11 02:21 PM.