Quote:

Abortion - A woman should choose what to do with her own body, not the government. US OUT OF THE UTERUS.

QFT

That's pretty much what I was trying to get across, but in terms of all the issues. The government has no right intruding in people's personal lives like that. Especially when they're intruding on the behalf of Religious zealots who just can't stand the fact that other people aren't living the pious lives they are or whatever their reasoning is.

The biggest problem with abortion is that there are just so many gray areas. I can see why people would be against abortions out of convenience (like say I knock up my girlfriend, and since we're both students we just decide to abort since we're not ready to be parents) even though... I still think it's the relationship's decision, not the government or the community's. Really though, like Fleeting said, it could be an abortion because you know the kid may have a disability, or it may be an abortion because the woman was raped or something. Maybe you're just poor as shit and know you'll be giving your 9th child a really shitty life by bringing him into the world. There are just too many gray boundaries, and a law can't be passed as a blanket statement to encompass all those situations.

I had no idea that excess embryos were just thrown out like that. I guess even more reason to promote stem cell research. Like you said, at least put it to good use. Not to desensitize the issue, but it's sort of like back in the early 1900s when Kerosene was THE chemical to refine from crude oil. Gasoline was seen almost as a waste. Then scientists/engineers decided to find a use for it, and look at what a powerhouse it is today.

By the way, thanks Fleeting. And I wasn't saying that you're pro-stem cell because you have MD or anything. I mean, clearly from the rest of your views you seem to be a pretty logically-thinking, religiously-detached guy, and there are plenty of people who won't benefit from Stem Cell research in any way, but think the same way and see that the benefits from Stem Cell research are too good to just ignore. And yeah, I guess you're right that chances are slim that a cure would come in time to cure you (which was a horribly sad thing to read by the way... I think I'll take that to a PM) but I assumed since you are affected by a disease which Stem Cells might be able to cure, you'd care about that topic greatly, because even if you or your generation doesn't benefit from it, years down the line people like you will. And I don't know, I just figured you wouldn't wish MD upon anyone, and if there is any chance of someone getting up and playing a game of soccer with their buddies, or whatever the activity you miss/long for the most is, then you'd be all for that. So I guess really, I did think that you having MD was part of your reason for supporting stem cell research, although not necessarily your only reason, and not necessarily our of a desire for it to save you specifically, but just because you relate to the issue.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]