You are correct about theories, however Evolution is still the mainstay of science, and does have a good degree of supporting evidence.

Not to say Intelligent Design and Evolution are incompatible... I dont think that in the least. Evolution is only incompatible with Old-Testament literalism.

If a man can dig a series of trenches on a hill, and thus predict where the water would flow if he brought a hose to the top and started pumping - who is to say God couldnt form
a ball of energy out of nothingness knowing ahead of time the form it would take when he released it, based on how he created it?

However, at the same time- Science, as in the best empirical work of the *VAST* majority of those PhD's who spend their lifes work attempting to understand biology, and the natural world hold evolution as far and away the most likely scenario to describe the actual mechanics of how the current state of life came to be on this planet.

Saying that modern science, or that any significant body of modern scientists support I.D. as an alternative theory is patently false.... and in science class, what should be taught are the views and deductions of scientists.

I think studying the metaphysical and religeous aspects are also important, culturally if nothing else - however it really irks me when people try and pass I.D. off as science... because its not.

Thats not to say people shouldnt believe in it, or the idea shouldnt be introduced to the young - but honestly I would think its proponents should work out their strategy to where they didnt have to rely on deception to attempt to achieve mainstream status with the ideal.

Those who push I.D. as true science do more to discredit the idea than anyone. Most people are smart enough to be able to believe something that science doesnt currently account for, because they also realize the infinite limitations of the state of modern science - its easy to tell that its rather incomplete, we are at the tip of the iceberg in relative terms to all the knowledge and understanding to be had in the universe.

However, science is the art of whats known, understood, and the best hypothesis, theories and work of those trying to make things known and understood.

Anything not falling under those criteria and having met the scrutiny of peer-review within the community should not be passed off as "science" and not sold as such to those who dont know any better. Its not fair to those who expect to learn science in a science class.