Originally Posted By: sinij
Interesting, so if I manage to fertilize my finger would you consider it a human being? Would it also stop being my body part at that point?
First, you should call the Genius Book of World Records and Ripley's Believe It or Not, then if your fertilized finger turns into a human then yes, I would. You see the difference is that over and over and over again we've observed that a fertilized human egg becomes a human. Therefore, based on scientific observation we can safely assume that a fertilized egg will become a human. If you manage to create a human from the tip of your finger, we'll all gladly affirm that it is human once you've proven it works a few times. That's called science.

So you have -1 second to fertilization "part of a human", and then suddenly 1 second later you have a whole human. What changed? Please don't respond with "duh, it got fertilized". I am looking for you to explain why you assign significance to this specific biological process, and not say to ovulation, cleavage, implantation or other number of biological processes involved in pregnancy?
No, you have LIFE that will become a human. Since neither you, me or anyone else on this planet can safely say beyond a shadow of a doubt when sentience begins I choose to err in favor of the new life form and assign human qualities to the fertilized egg just the same as you and I enjoy.

Answer the question.
I did answer the question, but if you insist on having it in lay terms: It is impossible for gut bacteria to become a human being, therefore we do not assign the same rights and privileges to bacteria that we do to a human. Since a fertilized human egg will become a human who is entitled to those rights I assign those rights to the egg as soon as the process beings. That makes the most logical sense from my perspective.

Obviously, from the current news cycles, the Catholics take that one step further and assign those qualities to the egg and sperm, thus their stance against contraception.

Does just fertilized human embryo posses any self-awareness or sentience? How does just fertilized human embryo is different from just fertilized cow embryo?
Again, this seems patently obvious but apparently it isn't. It is very simple. A cow egg will not become a human. A fertilized human egg will.

Since you've brought up the "women's rights" issue, where do you stand on the father's rights? Is he just a sperm donor, or since the growing child shares roughly 1/2 of his DNA does he have any say in the matter? Are men not entitled to the same rights women have?

Last edited by Kaotic; 02/10/12 06:39 PM.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]