The KGB Oracle
Well I am reversing course. If people don't want to read this stuff then don't. I am not going to administer a complex structure to block this content. If you don't like it, it is on you to show some self control.

ENJOY!
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/05/12 07:46 AM
[watching] [watching] [watching]
Posted By: Magusto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/06/12 04:13 AM
Ron Paul 2012.
Posted By: JetStar Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/06/12 09:12 PM
I was only talking about flip flopping on weather to lock down the political forums or not.

JetStar = Mitt was actually a rip on Mitt for reversing course on every issue.

I would never vote republican, and especially not for Mitt.

Thank you for understanding!
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/06/12 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Well I am reversing course. If people don't want to read this stuff then don't. I am not going to administer a complex structure to block this content. If you don't like it, it is on you to show some self control.

ENJOY!

I was only talking about flip flopping on weather to lock down the political forums or not.

JetStar = Mitt was actually a rip on Mitt for reversing course on every issue.

I would never vote republican, and especially not for Mitt.

Thank you for understanding!

I don't know JET, you're talking with a little more common sense. With having people showing self control without someone holding there hand seems like you're fighting the urge. Just think if everyone was held responsible for their actions, Government had to be efficient and smaller while staying out of our lives. That sounds pretty good doesn't it, don't fight it Jet there's still hope! =)

RON PAUL 2012... YEHAAAAA BOIIIIIIIIII
Posted By: JetStar Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 03:14 AM
Yeah, lets get rid of the police and fire departments while were at it. I mean do we even need a military! But lets make sure to stay in the bedroom of gays, and deny them equal rights, and make decisions for women regarding their own bodies.

Sounds like WIN to me, NOT
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 12:14 PM
You seem to forget that the Democrats had full control for 2 years and could have passed anything they wanted. They didn't pass any of the gay rights items that everyone tells us they are for but now have proven they lie.

Who is making decisions for women bodies.

As for you saying you would never vote for a republican just shows how close minded you really are.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 05:39 PM

Jet, which candidate are you talking about? I know you said Ron Paul, but what you describe sounds nothing like him.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 05:47 PM
Ron Paul sounds great until you get to the part where "because bible says so!" start coming out.

He has a lot of great ideas but for the all wrong reasons. Plus, who or what moves into the power vacuum in hypothetical situation where Ron Paul get his every political wish?
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: sinij
Ron Paul sounds great until you get to the part where "because bible says so!" start coming out.

He has a lot of great ideas but for the all wrong reasons. Plus, who or what moves into the power vacuum in hypothetical situation where Ron Paul get his every political wish?

Still, considering how little president actually gets to directly dictate, one-term Ron Paul with Democrat Congress and Senate majority might be a good thing. He can be used as a political shield for all the sacred cow slaughter while not really messing with fundamentals.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 06:00 PM

I do not think I have ever heard the phrase " Because the Bible said so " or anything similar. I have heard " because the Constitution said so" , I consider the two very dissimilar.

In regards to marriage, he thinks govt should be out of marriage, and individuals should all have equal rights. In regards to abortion, he does not think federal tax dollars should fund them, or that the federal govt should regulate it - it should be a state matter, though he is personally opposed.

In regards to the military, he is actually for a robust national defense, he simply acknowledges that we are spending way too much money on overseas interventionism and wants to stop that, and close most of the overseas bases and bring the troops home.

He has also said he is not for cutting govt programs that people depend on. He does think that it was a bad idea to start many of the federal programs in the first place, but recognizes that simply chopping domestic programs suddenly is a bad idea. He does say that if we wish to continue being able to afford them without becoming Greece, that we need to stop the overseas intervention.

By cutting spending, and reforming monetary policy he thinks that economic growth will render moot many of the govt programs because the economy will improve and dependence on govt will lessen, and that once things are good - that then we can start looking at ways to reform federal entitlements.

His real positions are quite a bit less drastic than some make them out to be.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 06:25 PM
Sanctity of Life Act

Ron Paul voting record is clear attempt to legislate morality that is very clearly based of Christian Faith:

Quote:

Voted YES on banning federal health coverage that includes abortion.

* Congressional Summary:Prohibits the expenditure of federal funds for any abortion.Prohibits federal funds from being used for any health benefits coverage that includes coverage of abortion. (Currently, federal funds cannot be used for abortion services and health plans must keep federal funds segregated from any funds for abortion services.)
* Disallows any tax benefits for amounts paid or incurred for an abortion.
* Provides exceptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest; or life-endangering maternal condition.

Proponent's Argument for voting Yes:
[Rep. Fortenberry, R-NE]: Americans deserve to know how the government spends their money, and they are right to refuse the use of their tax dollars for highly controversial activities--in this case, abortion. Abortion harms women. It takes the lives of children, and it allows a man to escape his responsibility. The abortion industry many times profits from all of this pain. We can and must do better as a society, and at a minimum, taxpayer dollars should not be involved. This issue has manifested itself most intently during the health care debate. Unless a prohibition is enacted, taxpayers will fund abortion under the framework of the new health care law. Abortion is not health care.

Opponent's Argument for voting No:
[Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-NY]: H.R. 3 is actually dangerous for women's health. By refusing to provide any exceptions to women who are facing serious health conditions--cancer, heart or whatever that may be--you are forcing women to choose to risk their health or to risk bankruptcy, and I think that is morally unacceptable. Under H.R. 3, a woman facing cancer who needs to terminate a pregnancy in order to live might have to go into debt over the $10,000 that the legal and necessary procedure could cost. Despite having both health insurance and tax-preferred savings accounts, this bill would prevent her from having that.
Reference: No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act; Bill H.3 ; vote number 11-HV292 on May 4, 2011

Voted NO on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines.
Allows federal funding for research that utilizes human embryonic stem cells, regardless of the date on which the stem cells were derived from a human embryo, provided such embryos:

1. have been donated from in vitro fertilization clinics;
2. were created for the purposes of fertility treatment;
3. were in excess of the needs of the individuals seeking such treatment and would otherwise be discarded; and
4. were donated by such individuals with written informed consent and without any financial or other inducements.

Proponents support voting YES because:

Since 2 years ago, the last Stem Cell bill, public support has surged for stem cells. Research is proceeding unfettered and, in some cases, without ethical standards in other countries. And even when these countries have ethical standards, our failures are allowing them to gain the scientific edge over the US. Some suggest that it is Congress' role to tell researchers what kinds of cells to use. I suggest we are not the arbiters of research. Instead, we should foster all of these methods, and we should adequately fund and have ethical oversight over all ethical stem cell research.

Opponents support voting NO because:

A good deal has changed in the world of science. Amniotic fluid stem cells are now available to open a broad new area of research. I think the American people would welcome us having a hearing to understand more about this promising new area of science. As it stands today, we will simply have to debate the bill on the merits of information that is well over 2 years old, and I think that is unfortunate.

The recent findings of the pluripotent epithelial cells demonstrates how quickly the world has changed. Wouldn't it be nice to have the researcher before our committee and be able to ask those questions so we may make the best possible judgment for the American people?
Reference: Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act; Bill HR 3 ("First 100 hours") ; vote number 2007-020 on Jan 11, 2007

Voted NO on allowing human embryonic stem cell research.
To provide for human embryonic stem cell research. A YES vote would:

* Call for stem cells to be taken from human embryos that were donated from in vitro fertilization clinics
* Require that before the embryos are donated, that it be established that they were created for fertility treatment and in excess of clinical need and otherwise would be discarded
* Stipulate that those donating the embryos give written consent and do not receive any compensation for the donation.
Reference: Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act; Bill HR 810 ; vote number 2005-204 on May 24, 2005

Bar funding for abortion under federal Obamacare plans.
Paul signed H.R.5939

* A bill to prohibit taxpayer funded abortions and to provide for conscience protections, and for other purposes: No funds authorized or appropriated by federal law, and none of the funds in any trust fund to which funds are authorized or appropriated by federal law, shall be expended for any abortion.
* None of the funds authorized or appropriated by federal law, and none of the funds in any trust fund to which funds are authorized or appropriated by federal law, shall be expended for health benefits coverage that includes coverage of abortion.
* No credit shall be allowed under the internal revenue laws with respect to amounts paid or incurred for an abortion or with respect to amounts paid or incurred for a health benefits plan (including premium assistance) that includes coverage of abortion.
* No health care service furnished or operated by the Federal government may include abortion.
* Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as prohibiting purchasing separate abortion coverage or health benefits coverage that includes abortion so long as such coverage is paid for entirely using non-federal funds.
* Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as restricting the ability of any nonfederal health benefits coverage provider from offering abortion coverage, so long as only non-federal funds are used and such coverage shall not be purchased using matching funds required for a federally subsidized program.
* The limitations shall not apply to an abortion if the pregnancy is the result of an act of forcible rape, or incest with a minor; or in the case the woman is in danger of death unless an abortion is performed.
Source: No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act 10-HR5939 on Jul 29, 2010

Prohibit federal funding for abortion.
Paul signed No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act
* TITLE I: Prohibiting Federally-Funded Abortions and Providing for Conscience ProtectionsProhibits federal funds from being used for any health benefits coverage that includes coverage of abortion. (Currently, federal funds cannot be used for abortion services and plans receiving federal funds must keep federal funds segregated from any funds for abortion services.)
* Excludes from such prohibitions an abortion if: the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest; or the woman would be place in danger of death unless an abortion is performed.

* TITLE II: Elimination of Certain Tax Benefits Relating to AbortionDisqualifies, for purposes of the tax deduction for medical expenses, any amounts paid for an abortion.
* Excludes from the definition of "qualified health plan" after 2013, for purposes of the refundable tax credit for premium assistance for such plans, any plan that includes coverage for abortion.

Source: H.R.3 &S.906 11-HR0003 on May 5, 2011

Prohibit federal funding to groups like Planned Parenthood.
Paul co-sponsored Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act
Congressional Summary: Prohibits providing any federal family planning assistance to an entity unless the entity will not perform, and will not provide any funds to any other entity that performs, an abortion. Excludes an abortion where: (1) the pregnancy is the result of an act of rape or an act of incest against a minor; or (2) a physician certifies that the woman suffered from a physical disorder, injury, or illness that would place the woman in danger of death unless an abortion is performed.

Sponsor Remarks by Rep. Mike Pence: It is morally wrong to take the taxpayer dollars of millions of pro-life Americans and use them to promote abortion. Last year, Planned Parenthood received more than $363 million in revenue from government grants; and performed an unprecedented 324,008 abortions. The largest abortion provider in America should not also be the largest recipient of federal funding under Title X. The Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act will prevent any family planning funds under Title X from going to Planned Parenthood or other organizations that perform abortions. It will ensure that abortion providers are not being subsidized with federal tax dollars.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 06:43 PM

Thats because its all federal funding. He does think that using tax dollars to fund something that approx half of america is opposed to is wrong.

If you look at his overall record, he votes against just about any type of govt spending, and in favor of just about anything that would limit elective govt spending. His voting record is consistent with reducing govt spending, and his economic philosophies - not with the Bible Belt.

This is why I get so frustrated with the left, instead of looking at the overall picture and putting things in context - they tend to pick a narrative, then cherry pick a couple facts, ignore a whole sea of other data that would provide context, and argue an unsound case. The right is also guilty of this, and all it is on either side is extremist politics of division.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 08:24 PM
I don't see "its federal money" as a good justification for misogyny when there is clear pattern in his voting. Throw newsletter bigotry on top of that and you have less than ideal picture.

Would I be willing to tolerate bigot and misogynist as a President to see some economical changes? That is very difficult question with no clear answer.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 09:19 PM

Still, considering how little president actually gets to directly dictate, one-term Ron Paul with Democrat Congress and Senate majority might be a good thing. He can be used as a political shield for all the sacred cow slaughter while not really messing with fundamentals.

Did you just post then reply to yourself.
Posted By: JetStar Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 10:49 PM
Federal money already does not fund abortion, PERIOD!
Posted By: JetStar Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Helemoto
You seem to forget that the Democrats had full control for 2 years and could have passed anything they wanted. They didn't pass any of the gay rights items that everyone tells us they are for but now have proven they lie.

As for you saying you would never vote for a republican just shows how close minded you really are.

Now now, Lets define my statement. I would have never vote for anyone in the current field. I reserve my right to vote for anyone.

I like some of Paul's principles, but he can never win. I know you conservatives are going to end up voting for Flip Flop Say Anything To Get Elected Romney.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 11:39 PM
I don't see "its federal money" as a good justification for misogyny when there is clear pattern in his voting. Throw newsletter bigotry on top of that and you have less than ideal picture.

Would I be willing to tolerate bigot and misogynist as a President to see some economical changes? That is very difficult question with no clear answer.

The accusations of misogyny just simply make no sense. There is indeed a pattern to his voting, but there is absolutely no possibility of making a valid case that this pattern is misogynistic or bigoted.

In fact he blames the "war on drugs" for playing a huge role in the disproportionate imprisonment and persecution of minorities.

Jet, as far as no federal money going to abortion - then why would it matter if someone voted to continue that? I am actually pro-choice, always have been, ( queue your memory regarding my lengthy debates with Vydor on the subject )but I also do not think it should be a taxpayer funded activity.

As far as Paul not being able to win, well that is something that would change if more people got out to vote for him now wouldnt it? Do you vote for who you think will win, or do you vote for what you think is best?

Besides, at the end of the day - I would think liberals would support Paul for one simple reason : the only likely way to avoid a war with Iran is Paul somehow, getting the support to become President. Because despite his recent mild backtracking as election season starts... Obama will take us to war with Iran. So would any of the GOPers except Paul.

I would hope everyone would realize that in addition to the meaningless destruction and loss of life, that there is no way our economy can survive another several trillion dollar war expenditure. China might even take the opportunity to stop buying up our debt... I hope I dont have to explain what will happen if we have an army overseas fighting, a tanking economy - and then several hundred billion dollars worth of US T-Bills sit on the shelves for a while, because noone is buying them.

So at least for THIS election, I would hope you would be registering R and voting in your local primary. Maybe if for the NEXT election, if the Dems somehow managed to find someone other than Senator Wyden or Kucinich with an ounce of decency or principles, or if Wyden ran for Pres then noone would find it odd or uncouth if you switched back.

But right now, in 2012, a vote for anyone but RP is a vote for war. Even if he doesn't win, I would hope people would be interested in at least making a loud protest.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 11:45 PM

Now now, Lets define my statement. I would have never vote for anyone in the current field. I reserve my right to vote for anyone.

I like some of Paul's principles, but he can never win. I know you conservatives are going to end up voting for Flip Flop Say Anything To Get Elected Romney.

That's how Obama got into office!
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/07/12 11:50 PM
Yeah, lets get rid of the police and fire departments while were at it. I mean do we even need a military! But lets make sure to stay in the bedroom of gays, and deny them equal rights, and make decisions for women regarding their own bodies.

Who are you talking about?
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 03:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Derid
The accusations of misogyny just simply make no sense.

I know you wouldn't even acknowledge such fundamental libertarian issue like control over your own body when it applied to women, so it is not at all surprising that you would not see misogyny in Pauls actions.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 03:55 AM
No one is telling women they cannot have an abortion (though I personally believe it to be murder), all that is being said is that you and me should not have to pay for Sally's abortion. The congress woman's argument you quoted is full of holes, not the least of which is that a very very tiny percentage of abortions have anything to do with the mother's health (one does wonder though, using the congresswoman's example, how a woman whose heart is too weak to give birth managed to have sex without dying), and if the mother doesn't have the money to raise a child there are literally thousands of young couples who cannot conceive and would love to adopt her baby and pay all her expenses leading up to and including the delivery and post-natal care.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 04:02 AM
The accusations of misogyny just simply make no sense.

I know you wouldn't even acknowledge such fundamental libertarian issue like control over your own body when it applied to women, so it is not at all surprising that you would not see misogyny in Pauls actions.

Care to explain how this line of BS, that sprung from somewhere in your imagination is justified? I honestly wonder how someone can come to such delusional conclusions then treat them as fact.
Posted By: JetStar Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 06:57 AM
I am actually an Obama fan as you could have guessed. When he wins I am going to smile and hug some trees.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 10:09 AM

Can you Clarify as to who you were talking about? Or did you just repeat something Olbermann was spewing out of his filthy sewer?
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 11:21 AM
I am actually an Obama fan as you could have guessed. When he wins I am going to smile and hug some trees.

Jet, I certainly could understand you supporting Obama in 08'

But, economics aside, right/left aside, how can you still support him after his assault on liberty? Aside from Obamacare, which was more Pelosi than him.. he has been a carbon copy of W Bush in many respects. Especially in terms of foreign policy and civil liberties.

I honestly would have pegged you as having a hard time supporting him this time around. Sure, I can see you voting for him over someone like Newt or Santorum etc, but supporting him on general principle? I would have thought you might be into that Americans Elect thing or something to be honest.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
No one is telling women they cannot have an abortion...

... you are only going to make it impossible to legally operate and fund any avenue for abortions, or add so many unnecessary bureaucratic steps that it will be effectively banned for all but very rich.

There is absolutely no scientific, medical or greater good of society justification to oppose abortions. All anti-abortion arguments are based on moral stance, inevitably based in religion. As a result any attempt to legislate religious morality to detriment of individual's rights, is not only attack on personal freedoms, but because it specifically targets a group of people - woman, is misogynist.

You might personally believe whatever you chose to believe, but moment it crosses into action territory, you start engaging in misogyny.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 10:05 PM

Care to explain how this line of BS, that sprung from somewhere in your imagination is justified? I honestly wonder how someone can come to such delusional conclusions then treat them as fact.

You clearly are not looking for answers, managing to call my opinion bullshit, delusional and imagined even before I get to state it.

If you flame me like that ever again, I will start responding in kind.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 10:25 PM

But, economics aside, right/left aside, how can you still support him after his assault on liberty?

That not what actually happened, and if you weren't ears-deep into far-right echo chamber nation you'd have an ability to question "assault on liberty, flag and constitution" line of thinking.

For the record, I too plan to vote for Obama - because I support a lot of things he stands for. I also strongly disagree with a lot of thing GOP candidates stand for (less so for Ron Paul, more so for Sanatorium, and Newt and Romney do they stands for anything but flip-flopping?).
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 11:26 PM

You clearly are not looking for answers, managing to call my opinion bullshit, delusional and imagined even before I get to state it.

If you flame me like that ever again, I will start responding in kind.

Um, news flash - just about all you do anymore is flame. You have no justification for many of your statements either.

Your mode of operation these days is operate via insult. If you want people to treat you with more respect, stop acting like a dick.

Anyhow, continue to flame away. I look forward to seeing if you can finally manage to put together a flame/insult that actually makes sense.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/08/12 11:38 PM

But, economics aside, right/left aside, how can you still support him after his assault on liberty?

That not what actually happened, and if you weren't ears-deep into far-right echo chamber nation you'd have an ability to question "assault on liberty, flag and constitution" line of thinking.

Please explain Obama signing the NDAA, even after he admitted it was wrong? Please explain Obama continuing Bush foreign policy. I forgot, Time is a far right echo chamber.

So is Seymour Hersh, right? FP Magazine . I am queuing the laff track right now, just FYI.

Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 12:34 AM
... you are only going to make it impossible to legally operate and fund any avenue for abortions, or add so many unnecessary bureaucratic steps that it will be effectively banned for all but very rich.

There is absolutely no scientific, medical or greater good of society justification to oppose abortions. All anti-abortion arguments are based on moral stance, inevitably based in religion. As a result any attempt to legislate religious morality to detriment of individual's rights, is not only attack on personal freedoms, but because it specifically targets a group of people - woman, is misogynist.

You might personally believe whatever you chose to believe, but moment it crosses into action territory, you start engaging in misogyny.

Teller of untruths, teller of untruths, your trousers are combusting!
While I would like to make it impossible to operate an abortion clinic that is not at all what we're discussing. Your argument that there is no justification for opposing abortion other than religious is predicated on the idea that life doesn't begin until a human is forcibly ejected from a birth canal. FYI the same people who espouse that belief are the ones who are currently suggesting that "really, a life doesn't begin until the child has cognitive reasoning abilities, so we should be able to abort children up to the age of 2." How's that for a slippery slope?

What I believe cannot be considering misogyny because it has bearing on the woman only tangentially. My belief that life begins at conception depends on the woman only in so far as females are the only sex that can become pregnant. In order for my views to be misogynist I would have to say "abortion is wrong because women aren't capable of making sound decisions" or something to that effect. About the closest to that you're ever going to get from me is, someone who chooses to have sex recreationaly and considers pregnancy a "burden to be saddled with" (in the words of B.O.) is incapable of making sound decisions about someone else's life.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 02:05 AM

Um, news flash - just about all you do anymore is flame. You have no justification for many of your statements either.

Your mode of operation these days is operate via insult. If you want people to treat you with more respect, stop acting like a dick.

Anyhow, continue to flame away. I look forward to seeing if you can finally manage to put together a flame/insult that actually makes sense.

{popcorn}

Go take a shower and don't come back until you start acting like a civilized human being again.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 02:16 AM

While I would like to make it impossible to operate an abortion clinic

You are aware of supreme court decision, you are aware of freedoms granted to women under constitution as interpreted by supreme court, yet you would like to make it technically impossible to exercise these freedom based on religious or moral grounds by superseding legal and legislative process.

Case closed. You no longer have a leg to stand on in any argument where you would cite personal freedoms.

Quote:
What I believe cannot be considering misogyny because it has bearing on the woman only tangentially.

Imaginary voice in the sky tells me you should eat only broccoli. I will ignore your rights and make sure that you could only ever find broccoli.

What you believe should never supersede other people's rights. Coincidentally, what you believe happens to be misogyny. Why is this misogyny, because you are trying to dictate how women should go living their lives.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 02:42 AM

{popcorn}

Go take a shower and don't come back until you start acting like a civilized human being again.

lol

When I saw this piece, I can honestly say I thought of you.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-january-12-2012/civil-disservice
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 02:51 AM
I was really surprised to find you in the anti-abortionist crowd, you always came across as strong personal freedoms and goverment staying out of people's business advocate.

Well I guess you chose to forget your "freedom, flag and constitution" stance and dust off your grandpa's bible when it concerns women's rights. You and Ron Paul.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 03:55 AM
ABORTION

Quote:
Barring mass immigration or another change drastically affects population growth, Russia is slated to shrink in population 20 percent by 2050, according to U.N. estimates.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 04:24 AM
Yes, we should aim to become as free as these paragons of open and democratic society, Russia, China, Syria...
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 04:34 AM

While I would like to make it impossible to operate an abortion clinic

You are aware of supreme court decision, you are aware of freedoms granted to women under constitution as interpreted by supreme court, yet you would like to make it technically impossible to exercise these freedom based on religious or moral grounds by superseding legal and legislative process.

Case closed. You no longer have a leg to stand on in any argument where you would cite personal freedoms.

Quote:
What I believe cannot be considering misogyny because it has bearing on the woman only tangentially.

Imaginary voice in the sky tells me you should eat only broccoli. I will ignore your rights and make sure that you could only ever find broccoli.

What you believe should never supersede other people's rights. Coincidentally, what you believe happens to be misogyny. Why is this misogyny, because you are trying to dictate how women should go living their lives.

Replace abortion with gun rights and your own argument says you have no right to talk about personal freedoms.

BTW being against abortion doesn't mean you are part of a religion. You can believe that when a woman is knocked up there is a baby in her belly and killing it is murder.

It doesn't give me the right to stop the woman to murder her child but I don't have to say I like it.

Liberals are the worst when it comes to personal freedoms cause it their way or the highway.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 05:38 AM
I was really surprised to find you in the anti-abortionist crowd, you always came across as strong personal freedoms and goverment staying out of people's business advocate.

Well I guess you chose to forget your "freedom, flag and constitution" stance and dust off your grandpa's bible when it concerns women's rights. You and Ron Paul.

See thats the thing, I have always been pro-choice. Which is why I held your remarks in such disdain - because you simply do not know what you are talking about. Imagine if someone came up to you, and started calling you names and tossing insults and loaded rhetoric at you for being pro-gun.

http://oracle.the-kgb.com/ubbthreads.php...=true#Post90484 Some recent comments by me, shortly before you started popping in around here that included references to my thoughts on the role of federal govt, including abortion. Unfortunately it seems that my great debates with Vydor and others on the issue have been archived, but ask Jet - he used to pop into those debates.

I really do not understand how someone could manage to twist not caring about, or even supporting, a bill that was about how federal tax dollars are spent regarding abortion - into some sort of religious anti-abortion stance.

Its not about abortion. Its about spending. There are many reasons I am opposed to using federal funds for abortions, except in cases noted by that particular bill referenced earlier. Not the least of which is that approx half of the US thinks abortion is morally wrong, and I think that the wishes of so many taxpayers should be respected.

This issue is not about that the govt is preventing, prohibiting, or regulating - its about not forcing people to pay for something. There is an immense philosophical gap between the two, whether you choose to recognize that or not.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 06:13 PM

Replace abortion with gun rights and your own argument says you have no right to talk about personal freedoms.

Never mind this blatant attempt at derail and change topic, I am going to quote this so you can't get out of stating it later. You just equated gun ownership to control over person's own body. You understand that one thing you buy in a store, and another thing you are born with as-is, right?
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 06:17 PM
Quote:
BTW being against abortion doesn't mean you are part of a religion. You can believe that when a woman is knocked up there is a baby in her belly and killing it is murder.

You said "you can believe", and you are very entitled to your flying spaghetti monster faith and I am not going to question it unless you start trying to force it on others. Until you can say medical community agrees the best outcome for the patient is, or overwhelming scientific consensus is, or greater societal benefit arises from is, it will still a faith-based belief.

As to "baby in the belly" is part of your belief, again not supported by anything other than your faith.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 06:28 PM

See thats the thing, I have always been pro-choice.

Then I really don't understand you. Lets go step by step.

1. Do you agree that Ron Paul is clearly anti-abortion?

2. Do you agree that Ron Paul is clearly of Christian faith?

3. Do you agree that Ron Paul is anti-abortion stance is based on Christian faith?

4. Do you agree that Ron Paul acted via legislature and voting on his anti-abortion stance?

5. Do you agree that control over your own body is a fundamental right?

6. Do you agree that women should have control over their bodies?

7. Do you agree that denying any right to any specific group of people would be considered anti-this-group stance?

Please respond with yes or no.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 06:31 PM
Quote:
Its not about abortion. Its about spending.

No, just no.

I can't say I want to remove police protection from people of color and then claim it is about spending and not bigotry. It just doesn't work that way.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 06:48 PM
Quote:
Its not about abortion. Its about spending.

No, just no.

I can't say I want to remove police protection from people of color and then claim it is about spending and not bigotry. It just doesn't work that way.

That is probably the most fail example I have ever seen. The analogy does not even begin to work.

Just because someone should have the right to do something, does not mean that they should have the right to have govt use other peoples money to pay for them to do it.

I see where you are coming from - if you believe that anyone should have the right to anything medical related, and other people should be required to pay for it - then it stands to reason that you would say denial of funding for something it an abrogation of those rights.

However, I absolutely do not think medical funding for any person or procedure is a right. Therefore my opposition to using tax dollars for this particular procedure, has absolutely nothing to do with bigotry.

And that IS how it works.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 06:56 PM

See thats the thing, I have always been pro-choice.

Then I really don't understand you. Lets go step by step.

Yes, but he believes it is Constitutionally mandated to be regulated/decided at the State level.

Yes.

3. Do you agree that Ron Paul is anti-abortion stance is based on Christian faith?

No. His abortion stance actually comes from an experience he had as a medical intern when an aborted fetus was gasping for air and trying to breathe/cry in a trash can. It had an effect on him.

4. Do you agree that Ron Paul acted via legislature and voting on his anti-abortion stance?

No, he acted on his financial/constitutional principles regarding spending of taxpayer money.

yes

yes

7. Do you agree that denying any right to any specific group of people would be considered anti-this-group stance?

yes, however I also acknowledge the validity of the stance that if people think that a fetus is actually a person - that the unborn persons rights can be validly defended.

Generally speaking, I am for first trimester abortions, against third trimester abortions - because a fetus can live outside of a womb at that point... and think second trimester abortions are a grey area.. I am not for banning them, but I would generally encourage anyone I knew who was contemplating an abortion to get it done as soon as possible.

Please respond with yes or no.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 07:30 PM

Way to completely ignore what I wrote and cherry pick the part that you wanted to comment on. I thought you said only us conservative leaning folks did that.

Originally Posted By: Sinji

I don't base my ideas about when life begins on religion (you're the one who keeps harping on religion. did someone hurt your feelings once?) I base it on science. You base your opinion about when life begins on what someone else told you science says. How about you spend some time doing your own research, study the results, create a hypothesis, test your hypothesis, test it again, and again and again, and then draw a conclusion. Once you've learned how to use the scientific method rather than spew back the detritus you've consumed then perhaps you and I can have a discussion.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 08:23 PM

Way to completely ignore what I wrote.

What part of "I would like to make it impossible to operate an abortion clinic. -Kaotic" did I misunderstood?

Quote:
I don't base my ideas about when life begins on religion I base it on science.

When your are talking "life begins" in scientific terms you are talking about life, as in gut bacteria is life, so is flu virus is life, and dust mites are also life. Why is this scientifically defined life is precious, and how can we possibly protect it when there is so much of it around us?

No, what you are talking about, but too uninformed to know the difference, is when sentience of the human fetus begins. This is meaningful discussion, but it isn't one that favors your side. My suggestion - stick to faith arguments, at least you can't be critiqued for being ignorant that way.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 09:29 PM

Yes.

Yes.

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Generally speaking, I am for first trimester abortions, against third trimester abortions - because a fetus can live outside of a womb at that point... and think second trimester abortions are a grey area.. I am not for banning them, but I would generally encourage anyone I knew who was contemplating an abortion to get it done as soon as possible.

In that case, surprisingly, we only disagree on 3. and 4.

While I was aware of Ron Paul abortion story, I see it more as a justification and make-believe story to protect his present faith-based believes from ridicule. While it is not impossible it would be unlikely to happen. First, there is no public record whatsoever of him participating in something like that. Second, late-term abortion would have been illegal at a time. Third, this story did not surface until fairly well into his political career.

Another issue, even if one to accept this story, it is inconsistent with his complete anti-abortion stance. Ron Paul is 100% anti-abortion, at any stage of this process, save early abortion in cases of rape and incest (and I think that it, but feel free to correct me Derid). His personal experiences are with late-stage abortions, and he doesn't mention reasoning for abortion in his story (maybe it was to save mother's life?).

So I am highly skeptical of his unverified, inconsistent and convoluted justification story, it is much likely that simplest explanation is true - that Ron Paul's faith is responsible for his stance.

4. I don't see how you can see spending as sufficient justification. It still unfairly targets a group - women, and it still in many cases tries to bypass existing laws and functionally (not legislatively) outlaw abortion. Correct procedure would be constitutional amendment, but this is not how Ron Paul is approaching this issue.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 10:16 PM
What part of "I would like to make it impossible to operate an abortion clinic. -Kaotic" did I misunderstood?
The part right after that where I stated that this is not the issue at hand. I only included the first sentence in the interest of full disclosure.

No, what you are talking about, but too uninformed to know the difference, is when sentience of the human fetus begins. This is meaningful discussion, but it isn't one that favors your side. My suggestion - stick to faith arguments, at least you can't be critiqued for being ignorant that way.
Your argument is invalid because we only place value on human life (unless you're a PETA whack-a-doodle). Sentience only comes into play when the folks on your side are trying to make their arguments for killing children all the way up to 2 years after birth.

If a woman could get pregnant all on her own I might be inclined to agree with the "its a woman's body" argument. The fact that it takes two people to create life, and that the child growing in her womb is 1/2 her and 1/2 the man nullifies that argument for me.

Thank you again for accusing me of being too dim witted to hold up my own side of a debate with you, the enlightened elite. I thought it was always "us" who were being irrational and calling names, yet I keep seeing you do it.

Again, let me congratulate you for trying to misdirect readers into believing that my views have anything to do with religion. I don't think you can find anything on here were I commented on my personal belief system, as far as the giant space octopus is concerned.
Posted By: Derid Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/09/12 11:30 PM

Yes.

Yes.

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

In that case, surprisingly, we only disagree on 3. and 4.

While I was aware of Ron Paul abortion story, I see it more as a justification and make-believe story to protect his present faith-based believes from ridicule. While it is not impossible it would be unlikely to happen. First, there is no public record whatsoever of him participating in something like that. Second, late-term abortion would have been illegal at a time. Third, this story did not surface until fairly well into his political career.

Another issue, even if one to accept this story, it is inconsistent with his complete anti-abortion stance. Ron Paul is 100% anti-abortion, at any stage of this process, save early abortion in cases of rape and incest (and I think that it, but feel free to correct me Derid). His personal experiences are with late-stage abortions, and he doesn't mention reasoning for abortion in his story (maybe it was to save mother's life?).

So I am highly skeptical of his unverified, inconsistent and convoluted justification story, it is much likely that simplest explanation is true - that Ron Paul's faith is responsible for his stance.

4. I don't see how you can see spending as sufficient justification. It still unfairly targets a group - women, and it still in many cases tries to bypass existing laws and functionally (not legislatively) outlaw abortion. Correct procedure would be constitutional amendment, but this is not how Ron Paul is approaching this issue.

It would not have been on record, because he was an intern. He did not perform the procedure, he was simply in the presence. It was something he saw, not something he was part of.

Doubt it if you will, but since Paul is not and has never been in the habit of lying to get votes... I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe him. If he was the type to lie or bend the truth, it would be very easy for him to say consider doing something against Iran for example, and only cut say half the overseas bases... etc.. and would probably at least be the GOP nominee. A little bending, stretching, and/or compromise combined with a couple lies could do his political chances a world of good.. yet he doesnt.

I like Paul because his stances arent come to by political calculation. I do not 100% agree with his stances by any means. But one thing he is not known for, is lying about them to get elected. If someone like Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich had come up with the story, I would be inclined to agree with you.

Also, I just do not consider it unfair targeting of any group. I would and do support, as I have made clear many times in the past, limiting all sorts of federal spending.

Now, if a Constitutionally sound State level program for health spending was in place that was meant to take the place of private insurance - and someone wanted to ban any abortion spending from such a plan, I would object to such a move.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 12:17 AM
Quote:

You said "you can believe", and you are very entitled to your flying spaghetti monster faith and I am not going to question it unless you start trying to force it on others. Until you can say medical community agrees the best outcome for the patient is, or overwhelming scientific consensus is, or greater societal benefit arises from is, it will still a faith-based belief.

As to "baby in the belly" is part of your belief, again not supported by anything other than your faith.

I say this while laughing out loud "your a fucking idiot"
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 12:21 AM
Once again gun ownership is a personal freedom. Its in the constitution. Abortion is a personal freedom.

Your still a fucking idiot.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 12:24 AM
taco
bandit
cat

just wait for the idiot to tell me this is based in religion.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 01:41 AM
Abortion is a personal freedom.

I am quoting this so you can't get out of saying it later.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 01:44 AM
Quote:

I say this while laughing out loud "your a fucking idiot"

You sure convinced me. Now tell me I am going to hell for pointing out your bible-thumping ways.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 02:00 AM
I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe him.

I am not going to believe him on this particular issue, as saying goes - past performance is not a guarantee of future returns.

Still, I am encouraged by this discussion, this is not irreconcilable differences, just a matter of personal opinion. I think this is closest we ever came to agreeing on any issue.

Quote:
Also, I just do not consider it unfair targeting of any group. I would and do support, as I have made clear many times in the past, limiting all sorts of federal spending.

I still stand by my position, because alternative is even less attractive. There are plenty of other sources of federal money to cut, why repeatedly and specifically go after this issue? As you probably know abortions are not funded by federal money, what Ron Paul is doing is going after providers of women health services in their non-abortion functioning. Knowing his personal faith-based position on this issue he should have abstained from voting. Since he didn't, and even sponsored a bill, I only conclude he tainted the process by trying to legislate based on his faith, in process compromising separation or state and church.

Quote:
Now, if a Constitutionally sound State level program for health spending was in place that was meant to take the place of private insurance - and someone wanted to ban any abortion spending from such a plan, I would object to such a move.

Meanwhile your federal spending principles, and I chose to believe your intentions, unlike Ron Paul there isn't a case that I can make based on your abortion stance, will run women's rights into the ground. Consequence of effectively blocking large portion of women from exercising their fundamental right can not be justified by such secondary issue as taking a minor stance on federal spending.

Minor Spending vs. Fundamental Rights, what to pick? You know my choice. I wish you would reconsider yours.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 02:53 AM
The reason you are a fucking idiot is I said nothing that had to do with religion. I said murder is bad, you got the religion from nothing cause your a fucking idiot.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 03:15 AM
Minor Spending vs. Fundamental Rights, what to pick?
It's been said before but obviously it needs repeating. No one is advocating denying a woman the ability to have an abortion. This debate is over whether or not tax payers should be forced to pay for it, and the obvious answer is no.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 03:30 AM
The part right after that where I stated that this is not the issue at hand. I only included the first sentence in the interest of full disclosure.

Don't say anything you don't want to be used against you in a debate. This is like starting your argument with "I know I am wrong here, but..."

Quote:
Your argument is invalid because we only place value on human life.

Define human life then. Fetus is _potential_ human life. You know what else is potential human life? Are you one of the extreme Catholics that even argue against use of contraceptive?

Quote:
If a woman could get pregnant all on her own I might be inclined to agree with the "its a woman's body" argument. The fact that it takes two people to create life, and that the child growing in her womb is 1/2 her and 1/2 the man nullifies that argument for me.

You keep using "child", "life" and "human life".

Before we proceed I want you to define it for me.

1. Is unfertilized egg a child, life or human life?

2. Is semen a child, life or human life?

3. Is fertilized egg a person, life or human life?

4. Is frozen fertilized egg outside of human body a person, life or human life?

5. Is first trimester fetus a person, life or human life?

6. Is second trimester fetus a person, life or human life?

7. Is third trimester fetus a person, life or human life?

8. Is any fetus that is not viable without support of a womb a person, life or human life?

9.Is human female a person, life or human life?

10. Is benign tumor a person, life or human life?

11. Is gut bacteria a person, life or human life?
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 03:36 AM
Minor Spending vs. Fundamental Rights, what to pick?
It's been said before but obviously it needs repeating. No one is advocating denying a woman the ability to have an abortion.

No you are advocating making it technically impossible to make an abortion, support all kinds of shady legislation aimed at making it increasingly difficult to have a perfectly legal abortion and use straw man "funding" arguments as a shield.

Repeat it after me, already no federal funding is ever used for abortions. What current crop of legislation is about, including Ron Paul's, is aimed at removing non-abortion-related funding from any clinic that also does no-federal-money-used abortions as a way to "punish" practice of offering no-federal-money-used abortions.

Read the fucking bills if you don't believe me.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 03:45 AM
The reason you are a fucking idiot is I said nothing that had to do with religion. I said murder is bad, you got the religion from nothing cause your a fucking idiot.

I already addressed this, but if you paused for a second in between mortifying your flesh and chanting to read, you would have read following:

Quote:
Until you can say medical community agrees the best outcome for the patient is, or overwhelming scientific consensus is, or greater societal benefit arises from is, it will still a faith-based belief.

You can also argue that you believe what you believe for no reason whatsoever and just chose to arbitrary adapt it into your value system with no justification whatsoever.

Since you already stated "Abortion is a personal freedom", whatever you chose to believe is between you and deity of your choice and I have very little interest getting crucified in the middle of it.
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 04:10 AM
I challenge your notion that all personal beliefs stem from faith.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 04:25 AM
First off a consensus doesn't make something true just because its a consensus.

Secondly you keep bring up that I talk about religion which I haven't hence the reason your a fucking idiot.

The fact that you tell me I believe in something "for no reason whatsoever". Don't you think someone can believe in something that doesn't involve a religion.

I assume you can't because your a fucking idiot.

Since you know me so well what values of mine do you not agree with????

Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 01:09 PM
Don't say anything you don't want to be used against you in a debate. This is like starting your argument with "I know I am wrong here, but..."
You'll have to forgive my naivete. I assumed we were all being honest about our views. Now I know the rules, don't give Sinji any chance to change the subject without addressing the issue. Got it.

Are you one of the extreme Catholics that even argue against use of contraceptive?
Nope.

You keep using "child", "life" and "human life".
That's because I want to be clear that this is what's at stake here.

Before we proceed I want you to define it for me.

1. Is unfertilized egg a child, life or human life? Nope

2. Is semen a child, life or human life? Nope

3. Is fertilized egg a person, life or human life? Yep

4. Is frozen fertilized egg outside of human body a person, life or human life? Yep

5. Is first trimester fetus a person, life or human life? Yep

6. Is second trimester fetus a person, life or human life? Yep

7. Is third trimester fetus a person, life or human life? Yep

8. Is any fetus that is not viable without support of a womb a person, life or human life? Yep

9.Is human female a person, life or human life? Yep

10. Is benign tumor a person, life or human life? Living tissue

11. Is gut bacteria a person, life or human life? Life

Your argument about the current state of federal funding for abortions may be correct (although I think we all know planned parenthood and other organizations are using/have used federal dollars for abortions), but the current argument is about what will happen under Obamacare, where, not only will federal dollars pay for abortions, but institutions that do not currently provide that service and are morally opposed to it will be required to.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Donkleaps
I challenge your notion that all personal beliefs stem from faith.

Not all of them. Some are based on facts, some are based on societal norms, some are based on past experiences and so on.

I asked him to justify his opinion and suggested a number of ways to do it. All I got back is angry buzzing.

I still stand that all _arbitrary_ personal believes are ether based on faith or stupidity and are often paraded as morals.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 01:31 PM
Quote:
although I think we all know planned parenthood and other organizations are using/have used federal dollars for abortions

I will address rest of your point when I get to my desk, but this...

I think we all know Kaotic eats babies for breakfast and heats his house by burning Jews.

No, "we all" don't know that. Doing so would be against the law, law that is on the books since 06 or maybe even earlier. You are throwing baseless acquisitions, appeal to false consensus all to further your point.

facepalm
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 06:35 PM

1. Is unfertilized egg a child, life or human life? Nope

2. Is semen a child, life or human life? Nope

3. Is fertilized egg a person, life or human life? Yep

4. Is frozen fertilized egg outside of human body a person, life or human life? Yep

5. Is first trimester fetus a person, life or human life? Yep

6. Is second trimester fetus a person, life or human life? Yep

7. Is third trimester fetus a person, life or human life? Yep

8. Is any fetus that is not viable without support of a womb a person, life or human life? Yep

9.Is human female a person, life or human life? Yep

10. Is benign tumor a person, life or human life? Living tissue

11. Is gut bacteria a person, life or human life? Life

So what is the difference between fertilized egg and unfertilized egg and some sperm? Is some magical process happens that adds significance to mixed ingredients? How is this different from "living tissue"?

Also why do you consider frozen fertilized egg outside of human body a person but gut bacteria a mere life? They are not at all biologically different.

It is clear from your answers that you believe that something special happens during fertilization and anything that would prevent this fertilized egg from developing into a sentient human being a crime, and a murder. Is this correct?
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 08:39 PM
No, "we all" don't know that. Doing so would be against the law, law that is on the books since 06 or maybe even earlier. You are throwing baseless acquisitions, appeal to false consensus all to further your point.

facepalm
Ok, perhaps I should have said "all of us who pay attention to the real world know" why the House voted last year to stop funding planned parenthood.

For the record I have thrown no acquisitions, nor do I intend to. I may however throw an accusation or two from time to time, but rest assured they will not be thrown willy-nilly into the crowd.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 08:51 PM
So what is the difference between fertilized egg and unfertilized egg and some sperm? Is some magical process happens that adds significance to mixed ingredients? How is this different from "living tissue"?
Well, an unfertilized egg is not fertilized. At that point it, and sperm, are like the tip of your finger, they are part of a human but they are not a human.

Also why do you consider frozen fertilized egg outside of human body a person but gut bacteria a mere life? They are not at all biologically different.
Only in the world of particle physics would anyone postulate a percentage chance that gut bacteria would grow into a human. However, the ridiculousness of your assertion only serves to strengthen the point that you have no basis for your opinion.

It is clear from your answers that you believe that something special happens during fertilization and anything that would prevent this fertilized egg from developing into a sentient human being a crime, and a murder. Is this correct?
Yepperooney. That "something special" is the same thing that happens when any animal procreates. We, as humans, place special value on human life because we are the only species in which we have seen conclusive evidence of self awareness, or sentience.
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 10:17 PM
I still stand that all _arbitrary_ personal believes are ether based on faith or stupidity and are often paraded as morals.

My next question is what qualifies you to make the determination that a persons belief if not based on faith is rendered by stupidity?

Flour does not make a cake. Egg does not make a cake. However the magic of mixing flour and egg makes cake mix which even though is mix at the time it's still cake.

Or think of it this way.
A piece of bread once toasted can never go back to being bread therefore its only option is to evolve into a crouton then on to breadcrumbs.

You see even though it went through toast and crouton it ends up as breadcrumbs and it could never be breadcrumbs if it never started out as bread.

That's wisdom.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 11:08 PM
Ok, perhaps I should have said "all of us who pay attention to the real world know" why the House voted last year to stop funding planned parenthood.

Pandering to evangelical voter base, to rally Republican base behind a cause, to distract from other issues?

Again, instead of backing your accusations with fact or admitting you are wrong, you are trying to claim false consensus. Perhaps you don't understand what "appeal to false consensus" means?

So do tell why do _you_ think House voted last year to stop funding planned parenthood?

Quote:
For the record I have thrown no acquisitions, nor do I intend to.

For the record accusing Planned Parenthood (you do know their main function is women health, and most of their services have nothing to do with abortion, do you?) of violating law is an acquisition of wrongdoing.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 11:19 PM
Well, an unfertilized egg is not fertilized. At that point it, and sperm, are like the tip of your finger, they are part of a human but they are not a human.

Interesting, so if I manage to fertilize my finger would you consider it a human being? Would it also stop being my body part at that point?

So you have -1 second to fertilization "part of a human", and then suddenly 1 second later you have a whole human. What changed? Please don't respond with "duh, it got fertilized". I am looking for you to explain why you assign significance to this specific biological process, and not say to ovulation, cleavage, implantation or other number of biological processes involved in pregnancy?

Quote:
Only in the world of particle physics would anyone postulate a percentage chance that gut bacteria would grow into a human. However, the ridiculousness of your assertion only serves to strengthen the point that you have no basis for your opinion.

Answer the question.

Quote:
Yepperooney. That "something special" is the same thing that happens when any animal procreates. We, as humans, place special value on human life because we are the only species in which we have seen conclusive evidence of self awareness, or sentience.

Does just fertilized human embryo posses any self-awareness or sentience? How does just fertilized human embryo is different from just fertilized cow embryo?
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 11:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Sinij

My next question is what qualifies you to make the determination that a persons belief if not based on faith is rendered by stupidity?

I generally don't differentiate between faith and stupidity when it comes to logical arguments. As to what qualifies me to make the determination? Logical process of elimination of alternatives.

Quote:
Quote:

Flour does not make a cake. Egg does not make a cake. However the magic of mixing flour and egg makes cake mix which even though is mix at the time it's still cake.

There is nothing magical in the process of making a cake. As to you stance on "cake mix = cake" - I know what you are going to get in the mail for your birthday.

[yes]

Unlike you, I personally prefer my cake cooked.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/10/12 11:56 PM

Or think of it this way.
A piece of bread once toasted can never go back to being bread therefore its only option is to evolve into a crouton then on to breadcrumbs.

You see even though it went through toast and crouton it ends up as breadcrumbs and it could never be breadcrumbs if it never started out as bread.

That's wisdom.

So your saying all beliefs are faith based or stupid?
Because everything you believe in is a arbitrary personal belief.

When ever you open your mouth to argue or tell someone something its due to a god or your just stupid????

BTW if you don't know the difference between a human fertilized egg and a piece of toast you are a fucking idiot.
Basic biology, when the sperm that ran the fastest and didn't get caught in a blow job, makes it to the egg and wiggles in and starts the process of cellular division, is when life starts. The difference between living cells and a embryo is the living cell will not grow up to be a fucking idiot.

As for personal beliefs, when I say I believe in something it means I myself having lived to this point in my life have taken that which I have learned and came to a decision that this is what I base my personal values on.

It doesn't always have to do with religion.

Look at atheist they have values and personal beliefs that do not involve an god. But a fucking idiot would say "hey you believe in something so you must be a religion crazy fucker"

Everyone has personal beliefs and a value system by which they live, even fucking idiots.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 01:12 AM
I think someone needs to look up acquisition. If you're going to try to use big words its best to know their meaning. In case you didn't know, the internet is very useful for educating oneself. Though I doubt that there is a left leaning definition site.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 01:37 AM
Interesting, so if I manage to fertilize my finger would you consider it a human being? Would it also stop being my body part at that point?
First, you should call the Genius Book of World Records and Ripley's Believe It or Not, then if your fertilized finger turns into a human then yes, I would. You see the difference is that over and over and over again we've observed that a fertilized human egg becomes a human. Therefore, based on scientific observation we can safely assume that a fertilized egg will become a human. If you manage to create a human from the tip of your finger, we'll all gladly affirm that it is human once you've proven it works a few times. That's called science.

So you have -1 second to fertilization "part of a human", and then suddenly 1 second later you have a whole human. What changed? Please don't respond with "duh, it got fertilized". I am looking for you to explain why you assign significance to this specific biological process, and not say to ovulation, cleavage, implantation or other number of biological processes involved in pregnancy?
No, you have LIFE that will become a human. Since neither you, me or anyone else on this planet can safely say beyond a shadow of a doubt when sentience begins I choose to err in favor of the new life form and assign human qualities to the fertilized egg just the same as you and I enjoy.

Answer the question.
I did answer the question, but if you insist on having it in lay terms: It is impossible for gut bacteria to become a human being, therefore we do not assign the same rights and privileges to bacteria that we do to a human. Since a fertilized human egg will become a human who is entitled to those rights I assign those rights to the egg as soon as the process beings. That makes the most logical sense from my perspective.

Obviously, from the current news cycles, the Catholics take that one step further and assign those qualities to the egg and sperm, thus their stance against contraception.

Does just fertilized human embryo posses any self-awareness or sentience? How does just fertilized human embryo is different from just fertilized cow embryo?
Again, this seems patently obvious but apparently it isn't. It is very simple. A cow egg will not become a human. A fertilized human egg will.

Since you've brought up the "women's rights" issue, where do you stand on the father's rights? Is he just a sperm donor, or since the growing child shares roughly 1/2 of his DNA does he have any say in the matter? Are men not entitled to the same rights women have?
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 02:19 AM
For the record accusing Planned Parenthood (you do know their main function is women health, and most of their services have nothing to do with abortion, do you?) of violating law is an acquisition of wrongdoing.

Margaret Sanger started the organization that later became Planned Parenthood with the sole intent of improving the "lighter skinned race" which she believed to be superior to other races. She was a eugenicist and wanted to eliminate the "undesirables" as she called the poor, lower classes, and non-white. She advocated sterilisation and the abortion of children conceived by those people she deemed unworthy. Even today the vast majority of Planned Parenthood offices are located in poor and minority neighborhoods.

Today she is celebrated by the left as a visionary for women's rights. I think, much like her contemporary Hitler, she was pure evil. She condemned Hitler's killing machine because it "didn't go far enough, and was too overt."
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 03:38 PM
I think someone needs to look up acquisition. If you're going to try to use big words its best to know their meaning. In case you didn't know, the internet is very useful for educating oneself. Though I doubt that there is a left leaning definition site.

Really? You are grasping the straws of nitpicking my posts for misspellings? It was very clear that I meant "accusation" when I typed "acquisition" , but thank you for proofreading my post I guess?
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 03:43 PM

So your saying all beliefs are faith based or stupid?
Because everything you believe in is a arbitrary personal belief.

Maybe everything you believe in is arbitrary, I personally prefer to base my worldview on logic, science and past experiences. I can't claim that all of my believes are substantiated, but if you point out ones that are not I'd be willing to reconsider them.

Key logical part of this argument that you are repeatedly ignoring while you are whipping yourself into religious zeal is that I asked you to _SUBSTANTIATE_ your views on abortion and you repeatedly failed to do so.

Quote:
The difference between living cells and a embryo is the living cell will not grow up to be a fucking idiot.

So it is potential of human life that you are assigning special significance to?

Well then to stay consistent to your view we also should disallow any use of contraceptive, or even abstinence from sex.

Logical conclusion of "potential of human life is precious" is that we should take every potential and try to turn it into possibility by breeding like rabbits.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 04:13 PM
Once again you prove your a fucking idiot. where in my posts have I said I was against contraceptives or abortion.
Once again you try to put words in my mouth. Typical of your post.

If your personal views are not arbitrary then you have no views, you personally have to make a arbitrary decision to determine if the information you receive, no matter where it comes from, goes to your personal values and will then become your personal views.

Your ability to not allow others to have beliefs of their own in the "my way or the highway" way of arguing is the only reason I have been posting.

I love how the liberals like to spout how they are open minded they are but if you disagree with them then you are evil.

On of your problems is you think if someone belives in something that it is automaticly based in religion.
definition of belief, which yes has to do with religion but also doesn't.
something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 04:19 PM

So if I manage to fertilize my finger would you consider it a human being? Would it also stop being my body part at that point?

if your fertilized finger turns into a human then yes, I would.

No, it would be just a fertilized finger, you see with it being a finger, outside of uterus and not the right type of tissue, it would be impossible for it to go through a process of turning into a person.

You are making very logical conclusion here - fertilization process alone does not turn a bunch of tissue into a person.

Yet for some reason when I asked you about fertilized egg outside of human body, that has about the same chance of developing into human being as my fertilized finger, you replied that it is a person. You need to reconcile this logical inconsistency.

Quote:
You see the difference is that over and over and over again we've observed that a fertilized human egg becomes a human.

We also over and over and over again observed fertilized human egg not becoming a person, even with natural process is not in any way disturbed. For example implantation rate is somewhere around 50%, so almost half of all fertilized eggs _naturally_ fail to develop into a fetus.

Physiology of Implantation

Quote:
Implantation is arguably the most critical stage in the establishment of pregnancy. In humans, it has been estimated that between 30% and 70% of conceptuses are lost before or at the time of implantation, without women being aware that they were pregnant.

Quote:
Therefore, based on scientific observation we can safely assume that a fertilized egg will become a human.

This is not correct. See link above. Plus read about miscarriage , Stillbirth .

Quote:
If you manage to create a human from the tip of your finger, we'll all gladly affirm that it is human once you've proven it works a few times.

Would you also attempt to deny me control over tip of my fingers just because I demonstrated that it could produce a human being?

Quote:
So you have -1 second to fertilization "part of a human", and then suddenly 1 second later you have a whole human. What changed?
No, you have LIFE that will become a human. Since neither you, me or anyone else on this planet can safely say beyond a shadow of a doubt when sentience begins.

I can be very confident in saying that freshly fertilized egg does not have a capacity nor immediate ability to exhibit sentience. Just as we accept that gut bacteria does not posses sentience, nor would a fertilized egg. It is just a bunch of tissue that has a _potential_ and _chance_ to develop into something else that does have a capacity of sentience.

Since you've brought up the "women's rights" issue, where do you stand on the father's rights?

My stance on men's rights is that while women are entitled to full control over their body they should be allowed abortion all the way to viability. Men on other hand, should be entitled to absolve all financial ties (ability to declare intention to not support) up to the same point - viability. After that point it is shared custody with equal rights.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 04:31 PM
Really??? Arguing about something that can never happen?

Your finger is for her pleasure not making baby's.

A ferilized egg outside of a human body has more of a chance to make a baby then a fertilized finger because a finger can't make a baby.

Stick to real facts. Because if a finger became fertilized then it would be an act of God and we know sinij doesn't go for that shit.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 06:04 PM
Really? You are grasping the straws of nitpicking my posts for misspellings? It was very clear that I meant "accusation" when I typed "acquisition" , but thank you for proofreading my post I guess?
Not at all. I was going to let it go until you did it twice (never mind the general difficulty one endures reading your poorly worded and structured sentences) at which point I decided that sloppy sentence formation is likely the result of sloppy thinking/logic and felt that I should point it out to you. You're welcome.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 07:00 PM
No, it would be just a fertilized finger, you see with it being a finger, outside of uterus and not the right type of tissue, it would be impossible for it to go through a process of turning into a person.

You are making very logical conclusion here - fertilization process alone does not turn a bunch of tissue into a person.

Yet for some reason when I asked you about fertilized egg outside of human body, that has about the same chance of developing into human being as my fertilized finger, you replied that it is a person. You need to reconcile this logical inconsistency.
There is not logical inconsistency on my part. There is an inability to recognize and process a qualifying statement on your part though. You see, its the "if/then" relationship that makes all the difference. Perhaps you should read this again, take your time, we'll wait.
if your fertilized finger turns into a human then yes, I would. You see the difference is that over and over and over again we've observed that a fertilized human egg becomes a human. Therefore, based on scientific observation we can safely assume that a fertilized egg will become a human. If you manage to create a human from the tip of your finger, we'll all gladly affirm that it is human once you've proven it works a few times. That's called science.
As to the fertilized egg outside the womb, since it is possible to implant a fertilized egg into a surrogate womb and have it carry to term, my argument stands.

We also over and over and over again observed fertilized human egg not becoming a person, even with natural process is not in any way disturbed. For example implantation rate is somewhere around 50%, so almost half of all fertilized eggs _naturally_ fail to develop into a fetus.
My argument is based on the idea that since it has the potential, even if its only a 50% chance, to become a human with the same rights that you and I have, then it should be awarded those rights as soon as that possibility arises. Since its not possible for an egg or a sperm, by themselves, to become a human I don't extend my conclusion further back than a fertilized egg.

This is not correct. See link above. Plus read about miscarriage , Stillbirth .
Yes bad things happen in nature all by themselves, without your help. Many couples are incredibly heartbroken each year when a baby dies prematurely. That doesn't make the baby any less of a person or any less loved. I personally lost a sister to a still birth. She was just big enough to fill the palm of your hand, and she was definitely human.

Would you also attempt to deny me control over tip of my fingers just because I demonstrated that it could produce a human being?
Nope, you're free to do with your finger whatever you like, until it develops the potential for human life, at which point it must be afforded the same right to life that you enjoy. Just like a woman is free to do whatever she likes with her reproductive system until it develops the potential for human life, at which point that life must be afforded the same right to life that she enjoys.

I can be very confident in saying that freshly fertilized egg does not have a capacity nor immediate ability to exhibit sentience. Just as we accept that gut bacteria does not posses sentience, nor would a fertilized egg. It is just a bunch of tissue that has a _potential_ and _chance_ to develop into something else that does have a capacity of sentience.
Its that potential that makes all the difference.

My stance on men's rights is that while women are entitled to full control over their body they should be allowed abortion all the way to viability. Men on other hand, should be entitled to absolve all financial ties (ability to declare intention to not support) up to the same point - viability. After that point it is shared custody with equal rights.
Please define "viability." What if the man, who, by your rules, can say "I'm not paying for that child because I advocated aborting it," chooses the other route? What if he wants the child? Who gets to decide? Clearly you've already abdicated the point that it will become a human child, else why would you need the right to refuse to be financially responsible for said child? So, by your own argument you've conceded, de facto, that the "ball of tissue" you want to abort is a child. In your world, is it expulsion from a birth canal that confers "life" onto a human? Have you ever known anyone with an eidetic memory? Some of them can remember in utero events.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 08:08 PM
Quote:
Since its not possible for an egg or a sperm, by themselves, to become a human I don't extend my conclusion further back than a fertilized egg.

It isn't possible for a fertilized egg by itself to become a human being.

You still did not justify why you picked fertilization, and not any other point in the multi-step process of producing a human being as an arbitrary cutoff. You failed to demonstrate in convincing manner that anything significant changed from -1 second prior fertilization to +1 second post fertilization. Going back to Donk's cake analogy - just because you mixed ingredients, you are still nowhere near enjoying a cooked cake.

What more important is that you happen to pick a very early stage, so such views are harmful to both scientific research and women's rights. Derid on other hand picked up much later stage, while his view (or any view assigning arbitrary cutoff) is also not sufficiently justified, at least it is not harmful to society.

You also didn't justify your opinion as to why exactly you are assigning special meaning to a fertilized egg outside of a human body. I just cannot see the logic of equating a researcher that does in vitro fertilization to further scientific understanding of the process with a mass murderer.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 08:37 PM
Therefore, based on scientific observation we can safely assume that a fertilized egg will become a human.

I already covered this - no we cannot assume "that a fertilized egg will become a human". Even if you ignore in vitro, odds are still stacked against fertilized egg. More fertilized eggs _fail to become a human being_ than become a human being.

Quote:
As to the fertilized egg outside the womb, since it is possible to implant a fertilized egg into a surrogate womb and have it carry to term, my argument stands.

Soon it might become possible to fertilize stem cells (for example taken from my fingertip), cloning is not outside of realm of possibility today, and one day we will be able to grow human beings in vats. How would you reconcile your throwback views with all of this, or are you going to try to push bad legislation (like Ron Paul) that would hold our nation's scientific and social progress back? How are these views and legislation arising from them are that different from the burning of books and forbidding knowledge on fear of excommunication that happened in the past?

My argument is based on the idea that since it has the potential, even if its only a 50% chance, to become a human with the same rights that you and I have, then it should be awarded those rights as soon as that possibility arises.

Possibility exists even before fertilization, you simply cannot reconcile your view unless you also adopt anti-contraception position.

Quote:
Yes bad things happen in nature all by themselves, without your help.

Bad? Good? Why do we need assign moral labels to natural things? They happen. Not everything is a moral choice, even less things are _your_ moral choice.

Quote:
I personally lost a sister to a still birth. She was just big enough to fill the palm of your hand, and she was definitely human.

I now know where you are coming from. I am sorry for your loss.

Please define "viability."

Viability is a point where if fetus removed from a women's body its life can be supported by state-of-the-art medical equipment. I reserve the right to adjust my opinion as science progresses.

Quote:
Clearly you've already abdicated the point that it will become a human child, else why would you need the right to refuse to be financially responsible for said child?

Because I strongly believe that fetus is part of female body, and should be entirely up to female to decide what to do with it.

Whatever you think of a fetus, it is less of a human being than female. You can claim all you want that just-fertilized egg is a human being (and I still disagree with you), but if you put it in perspective of a grown female, that fertilized egg is less human, less sentient, less anything than female.

As a result I see rights of full-fledged human being more important than less-than-that being.

Quote:
So, by your own argument you've conceded, de facto, that the "ball of tissue" you want to abort is a child.

Incorrect.

Quote:
In your world, is it expulsion from a birth canal that confers "life" onto a human? Have you ever known anyone with an eidetic memory? Some of them can remember in utero events.

In my world I define sentience as a transition from life to a human being. I also acknowledge futility of trying to define exact process or exact moment when it happens.

If you want to get a "number" - somewhere between late second and mid third trimester.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 09:01 PM
If your personal views are not arbitrary then you have no views, you personally have to make a arbitrary decision to determine if the information you receive, no matter where it comes from, goes to your personal values and will then become your personal views.

I didn't say all my views are necessary correct, I stated that most of them are based on something other than stories written in a very old book.

Quote:
I love how the liberals like to spout how they are open minded they are but if you disagree with them then you are evil.

I certainly pushed your buttons, but I never assigned morality (or amorality) to your stance. Illogical != (not equal) Evil.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 09:16 PM
I already covered this - no we cannot assume "that a fertilized egg will become a human". Even if you ignore in vitro, odds are still stacked against fertilized egg. More fertilized eggs _fail to become a human being_ than become a human being.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this because I'm not arguing that it is human, but that there's a decent chance that it will become a human. There is no chance that an egg all by itself will become a human, unless, as I mentioned before, you're an astrophysicist and want to talk about the infinitesimally small chance that "anything" can happen.

Soon it might become possible to fertilize stem cells (for example taken from my fingertip), cloning is not outside of realm of possibility today, and one day we will be able to grow human beings in vats. How would you reconcile your throwback views with all of this, or are you going to try to push bad legislation (like Ron Paul) that would hold our nation's scientific and social progress back? How are these views and legislation arising from them are that different from the burning of books and forbidding knowledge on fear of excommunication that happened in the past?
I'm really not sure where I stand on human cloning. But I have a feeling that if it works a lot of religious folks are gonna be really upset that man could do what only God is supposed to be able to do. Either that or perhaps we'll get definitive proof of the existence of a soul. Right now my stance is much the same as with anything else. Should it be done just because we can? No. Should it be done to further our understanding? Sure. Should it be done for "cosmetic" reasons? No. Who knows where this will end up though?

Bad? Good? Why do we need assign moral labels to natural things? They happen. Not everything is a moral choice, even less things are _your_ moral choice.
Obviously good and bad in this context are subjective. For the person who wanted a child a stillbirth is bad. For a person who has no connection there is no consequence. For a person who didn't want a child, then its a good stroke of luck.

I now know where you are coming from. I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you. This is just an example though as I was too young to feel much attachment. My primary driving force is the woman who opted to abort my unborn child and left me with no say in the matter.

Viability is a point where if fetus removed from a women's body its life can be supported by state-of-the-art medical equipment. I reserve the right to adjust my opinion as science progresses.
Fair enough.

Whatever you think of a fetus, it is less of a human being than female. You can claim all you want that just-fertilized egg is a human being (and I still disagree with you), but if you put it in perspective of a grown female, that fertilized egg is less human, less sentient, less anything than female.
This is a dangerous slope of reasoning and not a small part in the justification of slavery and the slaughter of millions of people in 1940's Germany. You have but to substitute your race of choice for "female."

In my world I define sentience as a transition from life to a human being. I also acknowledge futility of trying to define exact process or exact moment when it happens.

If you want to get a "number" - somewhere between late second and mid third trimester.
Fair enough. Given this then I assume that you do not support late term and partial birth abortions?
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 09:34 PM
Fair enough. Given this then I assume that you do not support late term and partial birth abortions?

I do not, unless there is medical necessity. I would also never act on my moral view. It is not my body, it is not my choice.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/11/12 11:33 PM
I don't see how anyone can support late term or partial birth abortions. I've seen pictures of how it's done, you can't have morals and support something like that!
Posted By: Kaotic Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/12/12 03:31 AM
Well, I think I've exhausted all the mental effort I'm going to put into this particular thread. I now know where Sinij stands and I feel like he knows where I stand and we even found a little common ground so...
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/12/12 03:35 PM
Please keep in mind that your stance has ramifications well outside female reproductive rights and spills into other areas, like medical science and so on.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/15/12 04:54 PM
Va. House passes tough abortion bills.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 02/17/12 01:27 AM
Rick Santorum Wants to outlaw contraception

Kaotic, take a good look. These are your bedfellows.
Posted By: Sini Re: JetStar = Mitt - 04/30/12 03:24 AM
Catholic Fire Teacher Over Fertility Treatments

Quote:
What's the Church's basic opposition to in vitro fertilization? Is it mainly the issue of creating extra embryos?

That's a big part of it. When you're dealing with extra embryos in a laboratory, then it does bump up against the abortion question. You've combined sperm and ova in a lab; now you have a zygote or an embryo. Is it fully human? Do we now have a new life -- not just the parts that could become a life, but a new, ensouled person?

Can you explain what you mean by "a life"? Does the Church grant a three-day-old embryo the same status as a baby living outside the womb?

The Church has skirted that question very carefully. You don't find the Church absolutely declaring that from the moment of conception we have a person. They do say, in a sense, that from the moment of conception we should err on the side of having a human. We should act as if we have a human.

Where does that idea come from? The Bible doesn't say that life begins at conception.

A lot of this comes from our natural law tradition. From Thomas Aquinas forward, the Catholic Church has argued that our positions are reasonable, or at least defensible by reasoned argument, especially on moral issues.

So we ask, when do we have a unique individual? Is it when you have brainwaves? That would be 40 days out. Is it with the first movement, or quickening? That's several months out. Is it when it can live outside the womb? That's in the last trimester. The Catholic position is that from the moment of conception -- the moment his DNA combines with her DNA -- you can argue that you have a unique individual.

Now, there are some Catholic theologians who argue that the embryo doesn't become a unique individual until it's actually implanted in the uterus. That would allow for a lab to create all those embryos and zygotes -- they're not individuals until they implant, 10 to 12 days from conception. And a more liberal theologian like Charles Curran would say that an abortion right after a rape might be acceptable.

E. Herx told her school that she wasn't going to destroy any embryos during her IVF treatment. So why was there a problem?

There's still an issue. In terms of procreation, the closer one is to sexual intercourse, the less the Church is going to have a problem with it. So if you're doing fertility treatments that help you conceive while actually having sex, that's mostly all right. The further you move from that -- and toward the laboratory actually playing a role in conception -- the less the Church approves.

So unless it is missionary sex it is a sin. Got it.
© The KGB Oracle