Quote:
Ok, first off - you insulted the Amish. Unlike you, I actually have…

I was really hoping you would not take me up on that offer to talk to an empty chair. If you carefully read what I stated, I was referring to “back in the day”. This willful or accidental misunderstanding makes your later rant on “lack of reading comprehension” somewhat ironic.

Amish happened to be an example of traditional way of living, and despite their traditionalism they are not completely removed from the progress. They also have issues with health care – some Amish groups do not buy into health insurance, avoid going to hospitals and/or die of easily treatable and preventable diseases. Is this the model you advocate general population should follow?

Quote:
You are trying to seriously say that people do not participate in civic life unless they are full and perfectly healthy?

Didn’t you just rant about logic only to turn around and say this? Well, let me hold your hand while we work through what I said.

I said (formalizing): “Since healthcare is a basic need, and we need to satisfy all basic needs before we can address all other needs, then we need to provide healthcare to guarantee access to a democratic process”.

Proposition A: Healthcare is a basic need.

Proposition B: You need to satisfy all basic needs before any other needs.

Conclusion: We need to provide healthcare to guarantee access to democratic process.

Your objection that some people might participate in civic life despite not having access to healthcare does not invalidate my argument. To draw an analogy, voter suppression tactics, like poll taxes during Jim Crow period, would not turn away every black voter, but enough to compromise democratic process. Try again.

Quote:
You try to say I would deny people these basics?

You actively advocate (and I assume vote) to propagate system that would deny people these basics. According to your moral code, do you actually have to be the one to pull the trigger, to be one to turn away sick from the hospital, to assume moral responsibility for such actions?

Quote:
Going even further.. you try to assert that I think healthcare is slavery?

Shall we cut bullshit out? You think that paying taxes is a violent confiscation of property by the government and especially oppose to spending said tax money on things you don’t personally approve of. You also try to establish false equivalence of paying into society to slavery.

I will ask you again, if you are so opposed to paying into society why not stop all your participation in its benefits and move away to somewhere society doesn’t exist, like Somalia?

Quote:
Public highways are a bad analogy. Highways are largely paid for with usage fees and taxes. Things like costs of drivers licenses, car plates, and etc. You mostly can, and *should be able to* opt out of the bulk of those expenses.

No, in most cases you can’t opt out of paying property taxes. Some of the fee structure confuses this issue, but I will stand on the point that you can’t opt out of contributing to national highway system.

I also don’t understand on this fixation on opting out. I’d like to opt out of paying for Bush wars; do you think I should be able to?

Quote:
Previously, it had all been about good or poor general health. Now it is suddenly an emotional appeal regarding acute trauma? So which is it?

Which is it? Some of it, all of it. Why do you insist that we differentiate someone bleeding on the street from someone quietly suffering at home from some preventable disease unable to afford a treatment? You in your blind opposition do not differentiate - you oppose all of it; why are you asking me to act differently? Under the system you advocate both people bleeding on the street and suffering at home are thrown under the bus so you, so you could satisfy your ideological purity.

If you are asking what I personally would consider a basic acceptable minimum level of health care, then we can talk about it. I think we will agree on more points than disagree. Still, our disagreement is that you think there should have no guaranteed access to healthcare whatsoever, and I think that there should be. The only time it makes sense to discuss details is if you concede the argument and agree that some level of healthcare should be universally provided.

--

Now, I noticed you didn’t mention anything about #2 and #3. I was curious to see what you have to say on it, or would you rather I leave you alone with your chair so you could rant about having to pay taxes?

[Linked Image]