Well, you are still ignoring the inherent valuation problems within any system that depends on committee based valuation (assignment of value)

But to use some real life experience, basic medical care is not all Cadillac. Like I said before, I have had basic membership at the Local Med-Alert or whatever it was called, one of those chains of emergency/walk-in clinics. Was like 80$/month. Catastrophic Hospitalization / major was like 40$. For like 120$/month I could walk in and get basic health care and was covered in case of something major.

Encouraging that type of division of labor, and private enterprise to see a need in the market and fill it at lower cost is always going to work better than assigning paid bureaucrats to try and quantify the details of a system that will actually work and serve its purpose.

Capitalistic systems (true Capitalism) are superior because all participants in the supply chain have a say in determining the exchange rate for goods and services.

Even if you maintain your argument that health care is something people "have" to have, as long as they have a real choice in which health care and who the provider is, there is always motivation for someone to try and provide that service for less cost.

This does not always happen in our current system, for a number of reasons, many of which have their roots in unnecessary govt intervention. Other root causes are people not shopping around as much as they should. Lots of people just take whatever they get from work, but the work plans are tied up in lots of regulation and HMOs, plus all the govt money that gets pumped into the system often makes a more attractive commercial target than targeting individuals who are looking to save money.

But regardless of that, there are still plenty of services and programs that do target cost savers. The fact is, that just because many people overpaid for health care - does not mean they had to over pay. If they did over pay, its their fault not the govts fault and not something we should up-end our whole society over.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)