Originally Posted By: sinij
Originally Posted By: Derid
Or, if costs really did go down, quality and availability will also follow suit.

What quality and availability? Too many uninsured, because they can't afford premiums even when healthy and cannot find minimal wage job that offers benefits. They get sick, with preventable and avoidable conditions, then when it gets serious start clogging emergency rooms.

I recently worked with a group of fresh out of school kids, out of curiosity I asked how many of them had health insurance while looking for job (these days it can take years to find a job!). None had, they simply could not afford it! Healthy mid-20th could not afford premiums!!! These are bright, educated young people... you can only imagine what it looks look for your average bear.

Quote:
I think our health care is *good enough*

Good enough for you and me? Absolutely! With my plan I get best care in the world, it really covers everything I would ever want and I don't ever have to wait in line because Blue Cross Blue Shield is accepted everywhere. What happens when I lose my job? What happens if I get sick and can no longer work? What happens to people that are already in such predicament? How can I ever start my own small business if individual health care is so unaffordable?

Medicaid. Enough said. Plus any hospital that takes govt money is required to treat emergency patients. I dont get why people act like insurance is the end of the world.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)