Many of the most nutritional foods, vitamin/etc wise actually have minimal calories. City distribution is not much of an issue, as cities naturally have large logistics hubs and infrastructure. I cant speak for all cities, but in all that I have personally seen - there are ever increasing amounts of low cost fresh food markets and stores.

In rural areas, transportation costs are indeed higher - however these people typically have the land to grow their own. Its amazing what you can get out of a fairly small patch of broccoli and cabbage and beans just by hoeing the weeds and applying some seven dust to keep the bugs down. Home canning is also very practical, in fact its been a part of my family for generations. Seed is also very inexpensive.

If people are eating the wrong things, its a choice. Or at least in the vast majority of situations. With 300 million odd people in this country, I am sure there are some exceptions. Perhaps certain, very regional geographies have issues. If someone chooses to live in a desert, for example.

I would still be interested to see your article though, and how it pertains to govt.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)