Originally Posted by Helemoto
Am I missing something. Is talking to a Russian ambassador illegal??? Also its not perjury if he isn't under oath. I don't think anyone was under oath.

He was under oath. The problem isn't that he talked with Russian Ambassador, but that he said he hadn't. If he had not volunteered information (that wasn't even pertinent to the question), or simply admitted to the encounter, it wouldn't be an issue.

What happened, and I can tell, is that he'd been coached on his responses prior to the hearing. (Which pretty much everyone does, before undergoing Congressional hearings under oath, this isn't particular to Sessions by any stretch).

Franken's question touched on a talking point he'd been coached on, regarding the Russians, triggered the coached, canned response. When you see somewhat off-center responses given by people being questioned, that ramble on a topic without addressing the wording of the actual question, this is what has happened, almost all of the time.

So, Sessions was basically hoist via his own petard, due to his pre-hearing prep. Which is pretty damn ironic and humorous.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)