To address 5050 and Crim, it comes down to property rights.
The basic question is if I own the bar, why do I not have the right to smoke in it, or allow others to smoke in it. Sure, its unhealthy. But its my bar. Not your bar. I am not forcing you to patronize my bar. If you dislike the smoke in my bar, you are more than free to not patronize my bar.

Either our bodies and property belong to ourselves, or they do not. I can see regulating things that may harm others without their consent. I can see regulating public property, for example I think the Govt has every right to eliminate smoking in a Courthouse. Many people may be required to visit the courthouse to do the publics business who dont like smoke. And after all, their taxes helped pay for it.

I'm also all for "truth in labelling", I think intentionally misrepresenting a business or product should be punishable according to the laws governing fraud. But I think having dogs or smoke is fine, as long as the establishment freely states that smoke and dogs are or may be present. Same goes for transfatty acids and all sorts of other unhealthy things.

And to Owain, you made the point Sling made I think- the Govt is elected by the people. Which is why if you really dislike it so much, and think its going down a terrible terrible path, I say its our responsibility- as in those who think so, to get involved.