Well, given the makeup of many KGBers, stating off a post with the phrase "A few of my friends and I have been discussing the problems with America" is enough to make quite a few of us to become completely unhinged. After devoting a good part of the last 35 years to defending the country against all enemies, foreign and domestic, I will charitably offer that you and your friends, in total, have insufficient insight to speak knowlegably on the subject.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think trivial things like a smoking ban in public places is the greatest threat to Western Civilization at the moment.

If you really want to make a difference, remember what Ronald Reagan said: "SOME PEOPLE SPEND AN ENTIRE LIFETIME WONDERING IF THEY'VE MADE A DIFFERENCE TO THIS WORLD...THE MARINES DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM."

Crimthan put it a different way, suggesting that perhaps if you were to have an opportunity to see how other countries and cultures operate, you might come away with a different outlook on things. I have traveled to many parts of the world in both Europe and Asia, and although it was always interesting, every minute I spent overseas was an "America Appreciation" event for me.

The US isn't perfect by any stretch, but it is light years ahead of just about everywhere else on the planet.

Sorry I let loose with both barrels on you, but I really had a RCB moment (Red Curtain of Blood), and lost it for a bit. I imagine that Raekwan, currently over in Iraq, would have a similar reaction, as would just about anyone who had any active duty military time.

It's just a viceral thing...

The thing is, I agree with you in a lot of ways. I get pissed off at some of the politically correct bullshit that is so common lately, but you need work on your approach. Starting off talking about how everything in America is fucked up is not the best way to make friends and influence people.

Now that I've calmed down, and blood has stopped squirting from my eyeballs, let me take a look at the stuff you linked to. It may be that we are in violent agreement on the things that are annoying you.

I, however, would look at it as an opportunity to make America better, rather than an example of what makes America such a bad place.

An important difference in philosophy...

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council