Chaulootz, you're correct that it isn't governed by federal law, and that not all states restrict such things, and that exceptions can be made. That's not exactly the point I was trying to get at though, I guess I never wrapped my point up.

The thing that really bothers me is that we aren't as free in this country as we were intended to be by our forefathers. While the dogs in restaurant ordeal doesn't apply to everyone, why should anyone require "the proper papers" to have their well behaved family dog at their restaurant?

Why should we be required to have papers for a number of things? I'll give some examples, and arguments for both sides so we don't have to argue over them, lol.

Airplane tickets: why are we required to verify our identity when boarding airplanes?

It's intrusive and an invasion of privacy, I don't care to have the government know exactly where I am or where I travel to. On the other hand, this is a good way to make sure criminals don't escape the law.

Setting up a charity: why do I have to set up or go through a not-for-profit organization (or equally qualified organization) to raise money for a charity or cause?

I don't want to pay the government a fee so that I can raise money for my local recreation center or to send financial support to a veterinary clinic that isn't able to save as many pets as need help in their very poor town in South America somewhere. On the other hand, if there were not laws regulating such things, what's to stop me from saying I'm raising money for a good cause then pocketing it?

There are a lot of situations that are similar, or can be looked at in similar ways at least. As it stands now, I have no radical ideas to go changing laws or fighting the man, only a desire to educate people on little freedoms that have been mangled with paperwork. I want a simpler world, I guess.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]