Jet, there are plenty of highly religious people who have no desire to use force to inflict their faith/feelings on the rest of society. The problematic people are not the ones who simply hold to a religion, but rather the ones who think their interpretation of personal faith should be forcibly applied to everyone. You really should take a more granular approach to examining the GOP.

Another thing to remember, is the GOP becomes more secular - by virtue of having more secularists be members.

Also, while I disagree with Mitt Romney on a ton of things I actually have not seen evidence of some kind of Mormon Theocracy or his intent or desire to create one. He was a fairly liberal Gov of Mass. for cryin out loud.

I certainly think it is possible and even common to be a bit too paranoid about religion.

The Church Obama went to was quite an extremist church, I think if you want to hold Romney to some kind of standard based simply on things that may be said at his church - you are being very hypocritical if you do not hold Obama to the same standard.

The racial issue is another matter. Too many blacks are caught in a system that does in fact try to teach them to be Dems. When it comes to Hispanics, the GOP can only blame itself for holding to an idiotic "progressive" platform in regards to immigration and work visas.

( Yes its "progressive" , the conservative/reactionary approach is actually one of relatively easy immigration or at least work visas... which is how it was for the vast bulk of our history. )

Hispanic immigrants are actually typically pretty religious and pretty conservative and the GOP has shot itself in the foot with them because it doesnt have the moral courage to stand up to the ignorant " thearyre takin' urr jobbsss" crowd.

I actually wrote a position paper/ essay that I bought up a ton of research for ( polling data, like Rasmussen platinum etc) to make the case that with shifting demographics and attitudes the GOP needs to change on some issues to reflect the changing reality or there will not be an effective GOP in about 8 years.

GOP is, without changes, in dire straits without reform once the Silent Generation finishes dying off. I consider this potential outcome catastrophic for the nation, regardless of the fact that the GOP as a whole does in fact hold many idiotic positions.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)