Originally Posted By: Ictinike
There are jobs..

Just jobs that kids these days feel entitled NOT to work..

When I was 12 my father shipped me off to the fields around the area to do a variety of manual labor jobs. It was hard work for little pay but what it gained me in work ethic.

I very, very rarely see kids these days working out in those fields because quite honestly the mindset of many American families these days is that their children shouldn't have to work those types of jobs because, well, I'm not quite sure. This is the problem; entitlement.

The only problem now is that many of these manual labor jobs such as farming, cleaning and custodial, etc are done by illegals into this country. Hell even today I'm pretty sure, but not positive that many of the fast food employee's are now not teenagers/etc but elderly because from what I've heard there are is a lack of teenagers willing to work these "bad jobs".

You hear people bitch about this everyday and the illegals and immigration and the such however if those people were not allowed to work those jobs, the same jobs that seemingly are "below" most young American's taste, then they would have to be held by American's and most likely a union based operation. In doing so your 85c per lb for apples would not skyrocket to over $3 a lb because of the overhead of union fair wages, benefits and perks they always seem to pull out of their asses.

There was a time, not long ago, that working an honest day for an honest wage meant something and if you didn't have the talents for technology, dentistry, engineering or any other specialty class work talent you did manual labor. We are and will continue to lose these types of jobs, including manufacturing, because no one wants to work these jobs anymore as there is a stigma of being lower class if you do so (at least around my area which is HEAVILY manufacturing based).

The truth of the matter is this country needs ditch diggers, farmers, manual labor because not everyone is a rocket scientist; however, our public school systems and the elitist parents tell our kids they can be anything they want to be which is a very bold and outright lie. It's a shame.

You are absolutely right. When I was a kid I would do just about any kind of work to gain a few bucks so I could buy something for myself. It felt good to be able to pull out my own money I worked for to pay for something. My parents didn't have a lot of money, so any extra I could come up with was a plus.

You're right about people saying you can do anything you want. I think that's 50/50 at best. Some people can work hard and make something come out of it. Others, it doesn't matter how hard they work still won't be able to do the same thing. I think everyone knows the limitations of their abilities. I am one of those. But what I lack in certain area's, I make up for with work ethic and common sense.

I think you nailed it Icky! There's simply to much "entitlement" thinking these days.