The military Commission Act is one that bothers me quite a bit, even after they amended it. It pretty much allows for any "enemy combatant" to disappear. As we currently stand, I'm with you in that it isn't an issue for us, right now. Lets say President X is elected 10 years down the road and is trying to do something he wants done, no matter the cost, so he promotes an idea, pulls some strings, and soon this questionable idea gets slipped in with a larger bill. The problem is, there are people who pose a huge threat to him if they take the government to court over how his new law is unconstitutional. When the president finds out about such people (because he's been using the Patriot Act to have his friends over in department X of the Pentagon harassing search engine companies for information on who's searching for what), people start to vanish in the night.

Right now, it doesn't matter who the threat in the White House will be, if one even comes into existence, and it doesn't matter when. The problem is that we're setting ourselves up to be in a bad position by allowing for a corrupt government to abuse excessive amounts of powers. If we leave holes in our system, then they can be abused. I don't want to disappear in the night because I think that gay marriage should be legal, abortion is no big deal, the drinking age should be abolished, drugs should be legalized and regulated by the FDA, seat belts and motorcycle helmets should be optional, and people should be able to do whatever they feel like doing in their own homes as long as it isn't injuring another person. And all that jazz.

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]