Quote:

Owain, find me some reading that dismisses these articles simply by dismissing them... rightwingnews.com, bah!

The source is irrelevant if the arguments are valid. From your article:
"1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy"
Since we no shit have a serious external enemy, I don't think this is sign of the coming fascist state. If you don't think we have a serious external enemy, Google Sept 11, and rewatch the video of the towers falling. And they want to do that and worse, again.

2. Create a gulag. Prisoner of War camps do not qualify as Gulags - as soon as we start throwing large number of purely political prisoners, US Citizens, let me know. John Walker Lynd and Joseph Padilla don't count, since they actively went over to the other side.

3. Develop a thug caste. I know lefties dislike VP Cheney and Haliburton, but I don't think they qualify. I couldn't find any reference to republican goons in Florida for the 2000 election mentioned in the article, but I did find this. But that's Democrats behaving badly, which doesn't support the argument very well.

4. Set up an internal surveillance system. Crap - the warrentless wiretaps and other measures under beefed up security target communications that originate in other countries, and fall under Article II of the US Constitution outlining the powers of the President as Commander in Chief of the Armed forces.

The rest of the points are just as week, and are well covered in the article I linked.

I think the original article in the Guardian is a blatant violation of Godwin's Law, and was designed to appeal to the "Hate America First" crowd.

I'm sorry to see people slinging this trash in here.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council