Quote:

It's funny you mention that, Lev. Just the other day I was reading this powerpoint that was presented at the GDC a few weeks ago:

http://www.netdevil.com/news/article.php?id=681

They mention a lot of what you were speaking about, from how now the average cost of an mmo is around 40 million, to the return on capital (apparently 95% of mmos don't make back the initial investment,) and all the aspects that truly go into making and keeping an mmo running.

What is it that you do at NC, exactly?

Pardon the double post, but what I see from that powerpoint read is ways in which companies can take advantage of the consumers ignorance to justify getting more money, or ways in which to capitalize on a current trend and amplify larger budgets by delivering on a games outward cosmetics or marketing and consumers habitual natures for impulse spending and high visual entertainment needs. With such negative focuses but without all of the real work needed to improve future gaming.

I understand the money companies are looking to receive from more investors, advertisers, or business partners will in some small part be used to build a game and/or increase a budget for said game or it's team. Unfortunately I feel that the money will just be recycled back into the same economic stratagem and that is a FAIL, at least in the eyes of gamers who have become weary and disgruntled toward clone and trend gaming. How many games does KGB plan on going through to find the perfect gaming experience? How often will a gamer be required to displace him or her self? How much money will we all be prepared to spend? How many game boxes do you have on your bookshelf that you no longer play or play rarely? In the realm of MMO's, why did you stop playing those games?

When you start asking those questions of yourself is when you realize the industry is sick and the current methods in use for either design or play are not beneficial or entertaining. This is also when you begin playing or buying games more for the social reasons then for any other. To stay connected to those you have grown to know or admire is the only real positive to come out of gaming thus far, unfortunately it could be so much more...

Last edited by Drakiis; 03/07/08 02:06 AM.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]