Agreed, much of what I see is that for every attempt to create something special a company ends up in the long run finding it biting off more then they can chew. In an attempt to create everything hoped for, they end up creating nothing, case in point Tabula Rasa or Vanguard.

Quote:

That's nothing to say of the investment that is required to make it. There's a lot of capital that goes into that fourth, fifth, and even sixth year of development, and people want to know where their money is going.

My point here is that if companies stopped dumping money into cloning technologies then they would stop the bleeding as it were, and there by be able to use that money for truly revolutionary or evolutionary works. If you don't spend money on a trend driven game you have that much more money to work with to produce a high quality ground breaking technology and one that won't sit and flounder in a sea full of mediocrity and failure.

This medium is participating in a flooded market, and the consumer is not able to respond to the growing multitudes of clone type products and there fore many games are crashing and burning, unable to recoup their losses in such a massive grave yard that has become MMO's of today.

New stratagems are required financially by these design houses, as well as new ideologies surrounding development. Unfortunately though it seems as if these companies would rather commit economic suicide by building a game that is doomed to failure due to it's similarities and send it forth unto the world with cumbersome overly developed logistical support and massively expensive continued operational forecasts then to use this capital for a more innovative approach.

Of course as you have said, we are all hoping for the same things, in the end it is left up to a select few, namely big business suit wearing types who may or may not be gamers at heart to make the calls. Those who own or run the company may have less information about what is really happening on the ground level then those who are building and creating the game. While I have no doubts about those like yourself Leverett, I do have some misgivings about your Bosses Bosses Boss

"MMORPG what's that? Oh we can make money like Blizzard has? Well in that case lets do that."

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]