Originally Posted by rhaikh
Originally Posted by Banshee
I thought almost everyone agreed that the Civil War was about much more than slavery, so knowing that why is Robert E. Lee a symbol of racism?

Who in goods name does this "to continue their romanticization of the culture of slavery unchecked." besides the extreme groups we all know like the KKK.

Read or watch the entirety of Mitch Landrieu's speech. Specifically this part:

The historic record is clear: The Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and P.G.T. Beauregard statues were not erected just to honor these men, but as part of the movement which became known as The Cult of the Lost Cause. This “cult” had one goal—through monuments and through other means—to rewrite history to hide the truth, which is that the Confederacy was on the wrong side of humanity.

Originally Posted by Banshee
That you think there is a status quo southern communities in mass are trying to maintain is just stupid honestly and speaks more to your bias.

I am referring specifically to the status quo of maintaining the presence of statues which were erected by Klansmen.

Please read about White Fragility. The evidence of its accuracy is oozing out of this thread.

https://www.salon.com/2016/07/18/wh...hemselves_during_discussions_about_race/

I don't think anyone is of a mind that modern slavery is on the right side of history.

The article about white fragility is a pretty good example of the ridiculousness that tries to pass itself off as intellectualism these days. Especially the part about avoiding the issue, which is pure drivel.

There are good reasons for many whites to dislike discussing race, and it has nothing to do with any repressed feelings of guilt. It directly stems from the fact that quite often, the people trying to talk about race are the type to make junk assertions and bad-faith arguments, then switch to social shaming tactics if the recipients of their attention don't immediately knuckle over and loudly proclaim the correctness and moral wisdom of the person trying to push their view.

If you want an example of this type of behavior I'm referring to, I suggest grabbing a mirror.

Last edited by Derid; 09/28/17 02:25 PM.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)