Originally Posted By: Owain
Hemorrhaging members from the top is a serious problem. Regardless of whether BDO is an Open Faction, it shows bad faith to tag as KGB, take advantage of assistance offered from leveling groups and sharing benefits of scroll drops only to abandon the organization once it no longer is of personal benefit. I don't think that is the intent of Open Faction Games.

If a game is considered Open, then you are not obliged to join KGB forces if you wish to go your own way, or belong to another organization.

HOWEVER, if you elect to wear the KGB tag, take advantage of KGB resources, make use of the time and energy of other members and THEN jump ship once you have milked the organization of benefits, THAT is something that should not be done lightly, and serious consequences should ensue.

I open the floor to suggestions from the BDO membership, which I will then present to the Senate.

I, personally, believe that this is a bigger problem regarding online-gaming in general. "Guilds", (insert Clans, Organizations, etc.), used to be organizations that you joined, gained friendships, reached for mutual goals, cared about the progress of the organization, and developed with individuals while your gaming interests aligned.

Modern day online-gaming appears to predominately = most Guilds are considered, (by the majority of the MMO populace), to be disposable gatherings of interim interest to meet individual's specific goals. These Guilds are considered to just be stepping stones of opportunity, and the individuals are joining for their personal goals. The average online gamer has no concept of a persistent organization that they care about at all beyond one that will help them achieve personal immediate goal(s). The scary part is that these "disposable guilds" not only don't much care who comes and goes, but also put in all the effort to create/initiate an organization with no aspirations of existing beyond the current game. While the idea of an organization that you join, contribute toward, and stay with is foreign to many of today's players, the concept of disposable organizations is foreign to many of us.

We have to strive to find the individuals who care about joining a persistent community, and ensure that our organization retains those members. The self-promoting "tag-jumpers" will just have to be weeded out as it's discovered that they have no care interest for the organization as a whole. (Hopefully before they've absorbed the organizations resources and time.)

The eternal challenge is retaining the good members, because these are games that people play due to individual appealing factors. If the guild can't meet any of the widely varying factors that appeal to our diverse populace, then the member will either drift away from the guild, or will just stop playing the game. I do not envy our officers with addressing this never-ending challenge, and I applaud their efforts.

I agree with much of what Owain is saying, but unfortunately I do not currently have any new suggestions toward fixing these problems. :(

- Wildcard / Tiernan