I have a lot of most memorable moments in my times playing online roleplaying games.

I remember being introduced to UO by a friend. Before this time I never played roleplaying games. I decided to give it a shot and was instantly hooked. Back in those days internet was still expensive in Denmark so everyone played at computercafes. So while waiting to go back to the café with my friends to play Ultima Online I came up with the name Binbs. It prolly took me like an hour to come up with as I decided I wanted it to be linked with my real name somehow.

One of my first moments in UO I met this girl that I went out adventuring with. She thought I wanted to PK her so she was really careful when we were out. Whats funny was, that I was so innocent in my roleplaying that I took off noto query and ended up becoming a Darklord. This resulted in me being notopked over and over.

Noone wanted to be my friend cuz every blue would just kill me. I ended up meeting Francine Boot and Yoda in front of covetous. They were invis but I could see their talking. Back then the text you wrote could be seen by everyone. They luckily didn’t kill me but kinda took me under their wing. One day they took me PKing with them.

I have never felt so bad in an online game in my life. I felt so bad for ganging up on some guy and looting him. The next couple of kills became easier and easier until I stopped feeling bad for anyone I killed.

Another memorable moment was back when KGB were warring the Nightmare Clan. At this point I had been playing for several years and could easily hold my own in duels/pvp. PKing at this point had become really boring to me as killing newbies for loot held no challenge.

One day I’m outside Covetous and see NC fighting KGB. Nathan Rahl was leading the KGBers and I watched as they got slaughtered by the NC. At that moment I knew that I had to fight NC. It has always been in my nature to side with the underdog and I knew that I would only gain most satisfaction by joining KGB and fight the PKers of the Pacific Server.

I then proceeded to ICQ Wildcard and he sent me an application that I had to fill out. I filled out the application and a few days later he took me to the KGB Tower. I was supposed to be put on the stone. He left me for a few moments in the tower. I guess there was some kind of discussion going on between some people elsewhere in the tower, wether I should be allowed in KGB since I was an ex-RPK. All of a sudden Speedy comes into the room that I was in and started ebolting me out of nowhere. Luckily I didn’t die and some others came in and stopped Speedy. I then wasn’t allowed on the stone at that point. A few days later I was allowed on the stone as a Mercenary, which at that point meant that you were on a probationary period and had to prove your worth. Fun times ;-)

Another very memorable moment for me which was really a bittersweet confidence booster was when there was a trend of dueling the “duelroom” in Deciet dungeon. This was a dungeon room with few monsters and was used as an arena for dueling matches. My character Binbs was kinda known on Pacific and there were lots of ppl who would not fight/duel me. Also there was a guild called D&S who I didn’t like because they had alt RPK chars, so KGB would not mess with them. I couldn’t attack them on Binbs so I made an alt char named Shane. I macroed him up with the help of a select few people and took him out for a ride one day. Dressing him up in a newbie style outfit (robe and magehat), I took him down to the duelroom and waited for someone to duel. Two seconds after my first duel, I hear people say stuff like “Is that Binbs?”, “He fights just like Binbs” etc.
I paged a GM after that which turned out to be someone that I knew as a friend and she changed my name from Shane to Shanti. Shanti spread quite a lot of havoc for D&S and everyone else who was a lamer in my book and KGBs. Later there was this big scandal on the KGB boards started by Scraper who hated me. Im sure you Pacific guys remember him.

UO was a lot of fun.. I don’t think there will be any game out there that will replace what experiences we had in UO, but there was one game that really got us to shine…Shadowbane.

Never have I seen my guild work together as hard as they did to achieve a common goal.

You see Shadowbane is/was a game that really required teamwork and dedication. From leveling to building cities, to gathering resources/gold to attacking/defending cities. Everything in that game is about teamwork and seeing us shine in that game made me so proud.

I remember one time our capital was baned. The city down on the west side of the map, which used to be Tiaers merchant city. Nearly every RPK guild showed up for the bane on our capital and after many hours of fighting our city had been conquered and taken over.

I remember sitting in Teamspeak with everyone.. We prolly had about 50-60 people online. And here I was trying to think of what to tell these people who trusted me, and now I had let our most important city get taken over. Luckily the people who make up KGB didn’t just give up. The next day everyone had very positive attitudes and was going on about where I new capital should be, what enemy city we should attack and what not. This was the moment when I realized that we were going to be successful in Shadowbane no matter what.

At the time of when our capital was destroyed we were very big. But because of this loss and a few other cities the more fragile guilds in our nation started to leave. A few weeks later the deadweight of the KGB nation was gone and we were left with only the one who could still hold their own. A month later we were attacking enemy guilds cities on a daily basis. We ended up destroying over 15 of LKK cities over that summer and I could retire a happy faction leader in September 2004.

There are lots of other memorable moments that are more pvp related such as the first time I got pked (Dread Lord Homer) or the hyped up duel on UO Siege Perilous against Guardians Chosens member Robin where people were betting on the result. Lots of others on how I met everyone I don’t have time to jot down here, but memories I will cherish forever ;-)