Originally Posted By: Derid
House is under no obligation to fund anything.
House is under obligation to keep government working, it their main function. Your view is anarchism.

Quote:
Its not a repeal, its simply not funding.

The same thing.

Quote:
Your talk about budget vs continuing res is splitting syntactic hairs, and meaningless in this context.

It isn't. You are acting like GOP proposed new budget and Dems shot it down. In reality GOP stapled "repeal Obamacare" (the same one they tried 40-something times on its own) to cont. resolution and sent it out that way. If ACA could be repealed through democratic process, then GOP would have done it by now. They tried, and tried, and tried.... and failed. So now they decided to bypass legislative process.

Have you considered that defunding ACA (remember, it designed to be revenue-neutral) is a tax hike?

Also, have you considered in what this will mean for legislative process if GOP succeeds? GOP one day will be in this position, if minority with nothing to lose can abuse budget and debt ceiling process in this way it will be abused every time. Are you ready to default unless government also funds abortions at all stages, have no working government unless gun control implemented?

Also if congress can dictate in this way, what is the point of having Presidential Veto or Senate? Abolish them already, clearly anything they do pales in comparison to NOT DEFAULTING and NOT SHUTTING GOVERNMENT DOWN.

Quote:
You incorrectly invoked epistemic closure.

What do you call self-referential system of believes that makes no coherent sense when rationally analyzed against objective reference points and measurable goals? I suppose we can call it Catholicism. Of wait, that name is already taken.

Quote:
Madison himself wrote inn the Federalist Papers that the purse strings were the ultimate recourse for reigning in gov't action.

Purse strings were never meant to be used to hang the nation. "The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned." Now show me where Madison wrote that it is acceptable to not to pay for lawful government activities that are authorized, no mandated, by law of the land?

Quote:
Your claiming what the Founders wanted.. honestly makes me sick to my stomach.

Your stubborn defense of indefensible GOP conduct makes me think that you are ether take me for a fool or are a fool. Now, I know you are not a fool.

Last edited by Sini; 10/10/13 09:18 PM.

[Linked Image]