And let me say, just since we're quoting figures, I pay roughly $225 a PAY PERIOD (1 week) for good benefits from BCBS via HP. This is for family of 4 which I know is a godsend however add that up over 52 weeks per year and that's $13,000 per year just for "good" coverage with a pretty hefty deductible.

Now, that's medical and prescription. Add in Long and Short term disability (cause you never know), full Eye coverage for the family and Dental which is mediocre but that's all they have. That probably runs me another $125, again PER PAY, and literally I'm nearing $20,000 for benefits. Those are all good packages at good rates mind you so I don't bitch but..

Sometimes you have to pay to play.. I make a very good salary, I don't deny that, and I do go out of my way to do things for other people but in no way am I rich. I put literally 20% of my annual salary into a 401k fund because I know, someday, I won't be around and I want my wife and kids to be covered. If I survive long enough to help reap some bennies before I pass, well then, I've thought ahead. I'm greatful for everything I've owned but I must say I've never, NEVER, sat around idle and taken from the government. I've even refused unemployment at time or two in my early days because, honestly, it's not the right thing to do EVEN THOUGH I do pay into that system.

I pay enough taxes and if you knew even you would be shocked because even at a family of 4 I claim zero (0) married which is the second (zero, unmarried is the most) most amount of tax you can take out. Why? Because I can and have to and I don't want a situation like I had in my younger years while running my own SOHO consulting company, pay my ass in taxes at the end from 1040's ever again.

To each his own but the point of the matter, I believe, there are tons of people who get a WHOLE BUNCH for little to no effort. My wife cried one day coming home to me when we first had our first child because she was driving a used beat-me-up car, all we could afford at the time, while some mothers who were on government aid were driving new SUV's and shiny new toys. That's not right and honestly made me work HARDER to get those things for my wife and family, not work less and take advantage of the system.

Sorry rant over, now I'm pissed even more..

Thanks..

Last edited by Ictinike; 04/09/11 05:44 PM.