Originally Posted By: Tasorin
You could have public health care, here is how.

Create a Nationalized regulated healthcare system in which every single legal domestic citizen is given a health card.

Then remove the need for Private or Public businesses from having to provide any health care at all as part of an employee's compensation.

Change the Private and Public business tax laws to be simple and fair.

Regulate with auditors the 99% payment of all business taxes, just like is levied on private citizens currently.

Problems solved.

Next Issue..... Sustainable Budget

You left out the incentive part. If government is paying for healthcare you can bet your ass that there will be price caps. If that's the case then what incentive is there for a person to work hard through 8 years of medical school only to come out on the other side with a government job? Some folks will do it because they really want to help others, but most of the really smart folks (those who make the amazing break throughs) would put their minds to work in a field that will compensate them for their efforts.
Originally Posted By: Salohcin Dragon
They should do a flat tax also, that could save $$ cause they wouldn't have to redo the tax laws every year. Plus the IRS wouldn't have to print how many is it, 10 different tax forms a year?

With this I agree but not for Salochin's reasons. Printing forms is not the issue here. The simple fact is that with a flat tax the lootholes that currently are exploited by those folks with enough money, or who know the right people (like GE), would disappear. I'm sure folks would be able to come up with other ways to avoid taxes, but since the tax law would be much simpler it would be much easier for those morons at the IRS to figure out when someone is cheating. Additionally, we wouldn't need one IRS agent for every 100 people in the country so you could cut the size of that department by half at least.
Oh, no, those poor government workers would be out of a job. They can find one in the private sector with all of the jobs that would be created by the "evil corporations" who all of a sudden have much more money, since they don't have to pay tax lawyers, pay less in taxes than before, and have the confidence to be able to invest more in their businesses (thus creating jobs) since they don't have to worry about how to shelter their money from whatever crazy tax scheme congress is going to come up with next year.

To Jet's point, it is not now, nor has it ever been the responsibility of the government to make sure you have healthcare, food, shelter or anything other than the freedom to persue your desires. The end result of any of these programs is more and more people who aren't willing to get off their lazy asses and go do something to better their lives. Drakiis may whine like there is no tomorrow, but that man is out busting his ass daily at a shitty job to try to get back on his feet and pull himself up by his bootstraps. I would much rather give money to help some one like that than I would pay for some woman to sit at home and pop out kids that she knows the government will give her a check for, or for folks who have "cronic fatigue" (in the south we call that fucking lazy) and as such are awarded a nice free check from the government because they are "disabled." It makes we want to climb into a bell tower and start laying down the law. The rediculousness that we've allowed our government to perpetrate on us under the guise of helping the populace is nothing more than an opportunity for slimy politicians (on boths sides) to buy votes. To hell with them all. My goal from the last election on out is to vote out whoever is in office. I would much rather NOTHING get done in Washington than for the endless parade of lying, cheating, scumbags to continue to flaunt thier waste of my money.

And if I have to watch one more speech from Nancy (before she hops on the jet that I'm paying for to fly home for the weekend) about how we're going to kill all the old people I'm just going to scream. Maybe if she used some of the money that has made her plastic surgeon wealthy to contribute to some good charities there'd be fewer old people who "would have to eat dog food."

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]