I almost forgot the GSS, these individuals could work closely with the newly reinstated Marshals as their eyes and ears, as agents of the marshals they then could conduct operations to secure the guild and keep them informed on enemy movements. Every Inquisitor has a retinue, every spy has a spy master, every agent has a handler, every asset has a control. The GSS could operate in tandem with a Marshal, conduct thier own operations and then pass down information to a Marshal, or the Marshal could become an extention to the GSS and work for them as a asset by using the information to best suit his mission.

It's either this or KGB needs to get the GSS to fill in the gaps. Meaning the GSS needs to work harder at identifying potential enemies, and aquiring the freedom to act on that information to carry out KGB justice minus the red tape. As I read the GSS policies and responsibilities, they already seem to have this freedom, so what is being done with this power? Why can't GSS perform the functions outside of the standing military to allow the guild to maintain its principles of defense and protection? In retrospect the Marshals of old would not be needed if the GSS was doing what is in thier power to do, which is to identify threats, eliminate them and then report them. In a pvp environment there may not be red vs blue anymore but if you have a strong unconventional force gathering intel and providing small unit operations then the need to mass mobilize and to keep every citizen on a shoot first ask questions later mentality might become less of an issue.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]