Ok, got bored wading through it so I will just ask you -

1) Does thee current NN still prohibit tiered service plans?

2) Does the current NN still prevent traffic prioritization based on sensitivity to latency?

In concrete terms, not just principles - my biggest objections to the NN plans circa 2010 were those were effectively prohibited. Or may have been, depending on how the FCC wanted to interpret specific wording at a specific time.

My biggest concrete fear, for the immediate term (ignoring for the time being, fears regarding the future ) was that under NN, the ISPs would just let everything through to everyone, on one uniform service plan (that they could still charge whatever they wanted for) and basically everything would be lagged to shit.

Instead of expanding land based infrastructure, the ISPS where a monopoly exists would favor wireless expansion, keep up all the shananigans there... and make a fortune. All the while every gamer would have 200ms+ pings, because of all the Netflix and flash video ads and whatnot because ISPs werent allowed to treat customers differently and offer service plans of varying quality (now the impetus , at least as far as what the blogoshpere is reporting indicates NN is supply/backbone oriented, this wasnt always the case) and have no incentive to upgrade their land based networks.

NN is not the way the internet has always worked, many ISPs have prioritized certain types of traffic like gaming and Voip traffic over video content. Otherwise any close to saturated link would cause everyone to lag balls.

Last edited by Derid; 05/13/13 08:04 PM.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)