Lot of good thoughts here. I have to agree with Raek that this type of alliance should be one based on valued opinions and 360 degree respect. However I also have to agree that in such an alliance, diplomatic goals must be aligned or you will insure failure. How this is accomplished is simple in theory, but very hard in practice. You must set clear standards and values for member states, and anyone wishing to join who doesnt display that set of standards and values simply cannot join.

What you hope to end up with is a group of very like-minded people who will work together naturally , rather than having to be forced to, as in a beuracracy, or coerced to, as in a system ruled only by opinions. In doing so you make it so that policies are easy to draw and enact, because most of the time 90% of the guilds will agree and work together wholeheartedly.

Now of course, even like minded people will have disagreements, and this is where valued opinions and 360 degree respect come into play. If guild A wants to war guild B, but its clear to the rest of the alliance that guild B has lots of friends who will smash guild A without the intercession of the alliance, drawing the alliance into some unwanted and prolonged struggle, then guild A should respect everyone's opinion and either not war, or war and die alone. In the latter case, it may eventually lead to that guild's dismissal from the alliance. Even though this may seem like something that will happen every day as it has in games like SB, if only guilds that meet the alliance standares are invited, it should, in fact, be rare.

Having said all that, I think alliances/coalitions/whatever you want to call them are a good thing, especially in large free for all pvp games. I think JetStar would be perfect for setting up and guiding such a group, and I think the KGB would be a good model to emulate when setting standards for the alliance.


Quote:

I know alliances are crucial but I think the focus needs to be on KGB And not some massive alliances with other guilds that we would be in charge of. KGB needs to fix and maintain KGB first not some massive alliance.




I do not however think that we should be the primary focus of any alliance, and certainly I do not think that the KGB should attempt to form a coalition with ourselves as its head. Everything needs to be balanced. Large decisions that affect everyone should be made by all the component guilds and their leaders/members, and everyone should be left to deal with their own internal politics. Wars should be fought together, with everyone contributing equally in terms of the resources they have available to contribute. And no member should ever be left to the dogs unless their own actions, against the rest of the alliance, brought that fate on them. Guilds that do not contribute or, after joining, prove that they do not live up to the values stated should be dismissed.

As for small guilds, I dont have much to say. I will say that I have seen small groups of very well organized people whip the crap out of many times over superior forces. If they want in, are able to contribute, and meet the set standards, then they should be let in. You just never know what guild of 10 may have the best pvpers, or individual LEADERS, who could potentially contribute more to the alliance than most of the larger guilds.

Discuss.