It's too easy to blame the tool when, the real problem, is the person. Though, since we can't legislate problem children out of the gene pool, folks try to go after the easy target. The firearm.

In fact, I had my pistol with me today while I was out shooting wildlife with my camera. Wasn't carrying it for the possibility of running into bears, werewolves, or zombie rabbits. I carry it because $5000 worth of camera and lens tends to attract attention from too many folks. Thugs included.

I own firearms for the same reasons I lock my doors at night. The same reason all of my $$$ toys are locked in my safe. The same reason I scrutinize the hell out of any vehicle driving on my street I don't recognize.

Because while most folks are decent enough, there are just enough assholes in the world to require things like locks, safes, alarms, police, and firearms.

When the world becomes nice enough that we no longer need the military or the police, I'll happily hand in my weapon. Until that day happens, I understand my safety ( as well as those whom I live with ) is MY responsibility. As such, I have to ensure the odds are tipped in my favor as much as I possibly can.

Since Fus Ro Da, being a damn ninja, or offspring of Chuck Norris isn't much for me to hope for, I rely on my ability to use a firearm if / when the situation calls for it.