Originally Posted By: Daye
"this should include ballistics but only for new guns."
Pointless. Easy to modify. Contrary to what CSI likes to portray, matching a round to a specific gun is nigh impossible.
Change or modify the barrel, extractor or firing pin and the ballistics DB becomes moot.

You can also file off serial number. So how would you make it harder? A RFID chip in the gun that would take hard drilling to get out?

I will agree that this is "better than nothing" plan.

Quote:
Mandatory insurance for all gun ownership ? lol no
I'll agree to it when you get special insurance for owning exotic cars, alcohol, tobacco or fast-food purchases.

Cars - you already do. Alcohol and tobacco already have sin tax (they are consumable) applied to sales, and lots of second-hand smoking regulation that prevents you from inflicting damage on others. The same on fast-food.

Conceptually - if you manufacture the gun that could only be used to blow your own brains out, it won't have to be insured.

Quote:

"If your gun is stolen - you still on the hook for up to N (~5ish) years for any crime"

LOL. Really ? Someone steals your car and mows down a dozen folks while running from the police you still think this is a good idea ?

If your car is used for any kind of crime you get to answer questions about it, and if it can be shown that you knowingly made the car available, then you are responsible.

The intent of this rule is to make owners responsible for not securing the gun and failing to report it stolen. "On the hook" = your insurance pays and you have to keep making your monthly payments. We are not talking PYITA, not unless you also failed to report it and can be shown negligent in other ways (history of failing to secure or you can be shown to knowingly made available for illegal use).

Quote:
"Mandatory gun operator license that has to be renewed"

It's called a CHL in most States. In addition, when you actually purchase a firearm you have to answer a set of potentially disqualifying questions.

Answer a set of Yes questions? I am amazed you think this is an effective measure to prevent sale of a gun to the wrong kind of people. I am done taking your post seriously.

Last edited by sini; 01/15/13 12:16 PM.

[Linked Image]