All very good points, and a excellent read. I will say this that it is up to each member to decide for themselves what matters most to them and hold to their own sense of duty. However, sometimes you have to have a little dirt on you for anyone to trust you, and in some cases you must do a little evil to do a greater good. Now is KGB doing this, no not as far as I am aware, and I doubt we ever would. Ideologies aside a guild doesn't exist without it's members, and no guild is as strong as the membership which represents it. It is the outward persona which draws it's members but ultimately it's the membership itself which defines the guild. While this applies equally to both KGB and the Goons, you still have to look at each in a separate fashion, because each represents different principles, and is faceted by those who claim membership.

I am going to tell you about a recent occurrence, and hope this illustrates my point. Over a year ago I was kicking it around these forums, keeping in touch with a friend here. He suggested we round up all of the old crew, guys we had gamed with over many years and we all come here and join as one in KGB for AOC. A great idea, in theory, however in time things didn't work out and two friends left the guild. Now the point of this story is I'm a standing on the rift between people I've known for ten years or people I've only known for one. I could have left sure but I stopped and asked myself if it was KGB fault they left or theirs, and just because it was theirs does that mean I should abandon my oath?

I guess the point (although I'm probably not making much of one) is that I understand what you are saying, and each man must choose his own path. I just think that stand or fall it's the integrity of each member which produces the guilds reputation and if each individual has no integrity and simply leaves at the first sign of adversity or due to a temporary arrangement, then by default they must be held responsible for any negative repercussions because by leaving you just paved the way for evil to flourish in the absence of good people as KGB looks to replace the lost or fallen.

Each member contributes his or her strength as a guild is designed to do and its the sum of the whole which makes the difference. We can't ride to the rescue of beleaguered peoples, or protect those who need it without good people to do so. As I stated earlier I made the choice to stand with KGB, not the Goons, or my friends who left the guild. I look at the guild, not it's associations, I don't blame KGB when the goons do something wrong, and The truth for me is not the same for everyone else, but I seek Order and KGB does this. Good, evil, it's all relative to the perspective your viewing it through but chaos is something I don't care for, and that is why KGB is a guild for me.

What you really must ask yourself is what do I really want out of a guild? How may I serve the guild? Am I here for my benefits or the guilds? People often think that guilds are just there to benefit them. That's a selfish mentality that has become common place in gaming these days unfortunately. The true definition of a guild is;

1. an organization of persons with related interests, goals, etc., esp. one formed for mutual aid or protection.
2. any of various medieval associations, as of merchants or artisans, organized to maintain standards and to protect the interests of its members, and that sometimes constituted a local governing body.

But in a gaming context I tend to see it as a service. I lend my sword arm, and in return the guild offers me aid or protection, I don't expect it, therefore I render service unto my guild without question because honor, and integrity are part of who I am and therefore also what I bestow upon the guild.

Last edited by Drakiis; 03/26/09 12:00 PM.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]