Originally Posted By: sinij
Someone answer this:

Why is Canada, that has limited (compared to US), gun ownership has FRACTION of gun-related crimes US does? Why is Canadians don't feel the urgent and pressing need to pack everywhere they go and keep one under the pillow just to fight off bad guys?

Substitute Australia or any EU nation for Canada if you feel like?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

For starters gun's aren't the problem. It's the laws and lack of using those laws to the full extent is where the problem is. If you knew you would lose your gun rights for an offense and you couldn't get out of it EVEN if you had a high dollar lawyer, would you chance making a mistake with a gun?

For the law abiding citizen the answer to that is simple. For a criminal laws don't exist, Or they wouldn't be breaking them. Also you have to look at societies, in Canada they have guns as well to protect themselves. They know as a society if they get caught with a gun other than shooting some bear shitting in the woods they will go to jail.

I'm not sure how harsh their gun laws are, a law abiding citizen will take heed, a criminal doesn't care if it legal or not. I live just outside Tulsa, Oklahoma. They have a big problem with gangs, and Indians drinking to much fire water (whiskey). Three years ago I was working the night shift at my job. I heard some popping sounds like fireworks and then our power went out. A few minutes later there were 20 cops just outside our gate. Someone was a victim of a drive-by, the victim was shot dead while driving and ran into a power pole, and that's what knocked out our power.

After that incident I started carrying a weapon in my vehicle. Because whether I'm able to defend myself with that gun, or get killed before I can defend myself the ease of mind is there that I have that choice and right to be able to use that. Tulsa isn't a big city, I think the city population is near 390,000 with the surrounding area's within 25 miles you could add another 100,000 to that. The area that I work is a high crime rate area (North side of Tulsa). It's one of the poorer area's.

Just to give another example, the Quick Trip I stop at to get my coffee and morning snack before I get to work, had a man stabbed to death about 2 years ago. Actually he was at the stop light coming off the 2-44 loop through north Tulsa to turn into the QT. Apparently some guy thought he had cut him off, so the other guy jumped out of his truck at the light one block away from the QT and stabbed him. The guy that stabbed him had his 6 year old boy and 7 year old niece with him. The other guy that died had a wife that was 8 months pregnant. Pretty sure he wished he had a gun with him at that time.

When it comes to my life or someone that intends to do harm to me, I can guarantee you their life means nothing to me. I will defend myself and my family to the BITTER end. I just want to thank the people AGAIN,that had enough balls to say we have a RIGHT to defend ourselves (Thank you 2nd amendment). Our societies are different from others, no question there. Part of the reason for that is the legal system, it's flawed and justice isn't served in many occasions. If you make the penalties to having a weapon stiffer and no plea bargaining bullshit, you will see people will take heed. Though some criminals won't care, others may and maybe just doing what they are doing to score easy money but don't intended to do harm.

To compare us with other countries and societies isn't going to get anywhere. There are many factors that go into stats. Even though it happens, how many times in the past year have you heard of a normal everyday citizen that carry's a concealed weapon just go off and start killing people? Compare that with the killings by criminals trying to score $20 bucks or trying to prove something to a gang. Again, I want my gun with me. Never bring a knife to a gunfight.