I don't think you're understanding the difference between a right and a privilege. If something is truly and inalienable right NO ONE can take that from you. Denying you the ability to own a firearm without first passing some test is akin to preventing you from owning one.

I happen to think that gun safety courses are a very good way for a gun owner to spend some time. One of the benefits of having been raised in the southern United States is that I, like Wolfgang, was taught at an early age the proper care and use of a firearm. Even with that training, I have attended two different firearm safety courses over the years. Why? You might ask. Because I have enough sense to know that I don't know everything and I can almost always learn something new if I keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. Some people never learn that lesson, and often times those they care about the most pay the price for their ignorance.

Perhaps my earlier post was a bit cavalier, but I'm certainly not advocating for the wanton deaths of innocents. I was simply trying to say, in a humorous way, what Wolfgang said. Rational, reasonable, moderately intelligent humans should have no trouble figuring out that they shouldn't leave a gun lying around for a child to find.

By that logic, if you can find for me one single instance, in all of the world, where a gun killed someone of its own accord, with no human interaction, I will immediately change my stance and get on the anti-gun bandwagon.

Its cliche but its true, guns don't kill people, people do.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]