I have always seen it like this.

Organized religion is crap. They are all based off of loosely the same concepts but the rest is just peoples perception (or lack of) of rules that have been censored by people who were previously censored before them.

The books in the bible were hand picked. If you think some of the stories in the bible are outlandish I suggest you read some of the omitted books IE the book of Solomon who according to that book on top of being the wisest King ever was also a grand sorcerer with super magic powers.

If by having and using my "god given" free will I do right and be good then religions dumb sect rules won't matter.

Therefore if there is some higher being out there that is omnipotent and what not who has some set of rules that we should be going by then he/she/it has either done a poor job of letting us know the guidelines or it has all been lost through translation.

Bottom line like old grampy bones put it.

"Do right and be good and everything has a way of workin out. When doin right and bein good puts you crossways with someone then fight like the devil and damn sure don't lose."

I don't think old grampy bones could get more Texas than that.

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]