Originally Posted By: Sini
Originally Posted By: Derid
I was simply not discounting hard work

When I read 'hard work' I associate it with 'strong backs and soft minds'. After our lengthy discussions on automation, I hope you are familiar with my stance on this?

Ah, when I think 'hard work' I associate the term with ability to focus on productive tasks for extended periods.

@sini re: fake debt schemes: no of course not

@ sini re Stanislav Lem : no, I am not familiar with Lem - but Mitsuo Fukuda and David Weber among others have given the subject quite a bit of treatment.

@ Kaotic : sf writers are often if not usually extremely intelligent, educated and insightful. Just because something appears in fiction does not mean it is flippantly constructed. Also, the type of eugenics being discussed have nothing in common with the pogroms of the 3rd Reich - instead think pre-natal care. If your fetus has downs syndrome, but you can use a virus programmed to repair the chromosomes do you use it? If your fetus has a malformed skull, and you can use a virus to repair the sequence do you use it? Ok, what if you can use the technique to impart resistance to HIV or Plague? What if you can identify markers for intellect and give your kid an extra 20 IQ points?

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)