Originally Posted By: sinij
Giving back to the community

Quote:
Over the past four years, American municipalities have laid off well over a hundred thousand teachers. They've also been firing policemen, firefighters and social workers, but I think it's the firing of teachers that makes the point clearest; it keeps going on and on. (Fresh teacher layoffs are happening this spring in Las Vegas (1,015), Flint (237), Sacramento (400), Gary (169), Cleveland (700), San Diego (1,534) and Los Angeles (9,500).) If you are a regular American who can't afford private school, you are now seeing the quality of your child's education slashed because the federal government is cutting its assistance to cash-strapped states.

Quote:
Who should pay? Arguably, no one at all, at least not right now. There is an argument to be made that America should be borrowing and spending far more money right now on needed expenditures like teacher salaries and infrastructure upgrades, since negative real bond yields means it's actually cheaper to borrow the money and pay it back later than it would be to pay for things with taxes right now.

You do realize that most of those jobs were linked to federal money given to states for a limited time and they knew the money would run out and the jobs would be lost????

These are State jobs not Federal jobs, so once again the feds have fucked up by trying to look like the hero but then wait when no one is looking and take it away, then come out and say holy shit look at all the jobs lost we need more taxes.

I am a regular American and I can afford to pay for private school. I also pay for my kids to go to public schools but since they do not attend public schools I get screwed on my taxes.

Tell me how a private school and spend more the half the money per kid and get the same or better results then public.

It's not about pushing more money into public schools, which has yet to work, its getting the broken public schools to work.

BTW not all public schools are broken or broke. A lot of the the schools in my area are above national standards because they work hard at it, not bitch about not having enough money.