Originally Posted by Derid
I think it is possible that masks will become a standard fashion accessory for the forseeable future.
Use proper terminology. If they are mandatory, then they can't be fashion. Fashion implies choice.
I do not pretend that requiring masks will eliminate COVID.
Then what is your justification for imposing them on others? Marginal reduction in a spread of highly infectious disease that everyone will end up getting anyways?

I can use your argument verbatim to ask for mandating daily flossing, then turn the society into police state while enforcing it. Its not the flossing that the problem in such scenario.

If masks are not a temporary measure in a time of dire emergency, then the level of justification to impose them on the population has to be on an entirely new, much higher level. I don't think marginal benefits they provide are anywhere near sufficent. More so, it is imperative that enforcement must be proportionate and measured. It is ridiclous that people would get arrested for this, when the crime is less severe than jaywalking.
In large part because so many people refuse to do so.
The freedom to make bad choices is a fundamental freedom; if you are only allowed to make good choices then you have no freedom at all. I don't know why I am finding myself having to remind you of that.
That being said, I'm pretty sure every reputable study has concluded that if everyone wore good masks in public and got vaccinated that COVID spread would be drastically reduced.
Faulty generalization with a touch of no true Scotsman.
In plain language - look at widespread infections amongst vaccinated, masking and socially isolating people. In my social circle (who is all vaccinated by the way) at least a third of people already had Omicron, myself included. Where I live, fully vaccination level is already at 75+%. Observable reality does not fit your narrative.
But I also think that masking oneself appropriately to prevent spreading illness to others is a matter of basic deceny.
Since you are advocating for masking mandates, you are imposing your own definition of decency (i.e., morals) on others by force.

Last edited by Sini; 01/23/22 08:04 PM.

[Linked Image]